Discipline from another adult?

Would you allow another adult to discipline your child in front of you? This person is an uncle by marriage and the situation was messing with balloons when his mother asked him to stop. The child is 8 and not causing havoc but still messing with the provided balloons at this uncle's house for his cousin's birthday party. The balloons were on the floor and other children had the option to play with them as well, but were mostly leaving them alone.

The punishment for not listening to his mother was for the uncle to take the 8 year old boy OUTSIDE on the front steps and pull his pants down and make him run the sidewalk. What would you do?

I should add that BIL tugged and pulled at my son's jeans but DID NOT get to carry out his intended punishment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2012 in General Parenting

• Holy Crap! Can you say abusive???
    I would have intervened. That's ridiculous!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I would have taken the kid inside then pulled down the uncles pants & kicked his ass all the way down the sidewalk. What a dick!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• that uncle woudl be in jail or the hospital
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I would be killing my uncle! No one can punish my child but ME if I am present. Who the fuck does that kind of punishment for messing with balloons. They are KIDS they are going to play.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I guess I differ from most. I don't see an issue with discipline from another adult HOWEVER, the pulling the pants down thing or a physical form????? HELL NO! It is fine for another adult to give the kid a "talking to" if they are being disrespectful of his/her parents or misbehaving and no one saying anything.
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 1:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I would have called the cops, and I'm not very reactionary
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• If the child were at my house, and the balloons were not for his party, but for my kid's party, then Id probably tell him to listen to his mother and leave the balloons alone. BUT were in the heck did this uncle get this form of punishment??? That is so over the top, strange, and downright creepy, borderline pedophile behavior that I would freak out no matter who's kid it was. I do not see the correlation between making a kid mind his mother, and total shame and public humiliation.... That uncle has something wrong with him.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Where were the childs parents while this was happening?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Holy shit! That is crazy! If someone did that to my child, I would put them through a wall, knock their teeth down their throat, skin them alive, break every bone in their body and that is just for starters.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• To me, this is not even a question of allowing another adult to discipline your kid. This is an issue of Uncle Crazy is clearly abusive as hell and needs to be smacked, kicked, beaten, and then made to run down the sidewalk with his pants pulled down.

I discipline my kids if I'm there and I see something that needs discipline. In my family, we all discipline each other's kids. Not overriding each other, but if I see my cousin's kid running toward the street, I'll yell out for him to stop, or if he's hitting another cousin, I'll sit him on the steps for time out. Unless, of course, the kid's parent is right there. Outside family, though, I don't generally appreciate others disciplining my kid. Stopping them from doing something dangerous is fine, but other than that, it needs to be brought to me and I'll handle it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2012