School Bus Stops, but No Lights

I've Googled and all I can seem to find are Ohio laws for other vehicles, not the school bus itself.

When the bus comes to pick DD up or drop her off, the driver does not always turn on the flashing yellow...then red...lights.

Does the driver not HAVE to?

Granted, DD's bus stop is on a township road at the end of our private road...hardly ever any traffic...but that should not matter I don't think.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2012 in

• He ABSOLUTELY has to.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 2:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I believe so, yes. Since the laws generally state that other traffic must stop for the bus "if the lights are flashing." Hardly any traffic or not, it's a safety issue. There might not be any traffic, but one day there could be a car flying down the road, and if those lights aren't flashing, they might not stop and your kid could be hurt.

I would try calling the transportation department or whoever is in charge of the buses, and ask them to know for sure. And frankly, even if it's not technically required, I'd tell them that I want it done anyway.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Yes he or she DOES have too- def call transportation
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• While I don't think it is law I would certainly be upset if they did not. I would start with talking to the bus driver though if you haven't already. If nothing comes from that then go above their head.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• It is no defense to a charge under this division that the school bus involved failed to display or be equipped with an automatically extended stop warning sign as required by division (B) of this section.
    Anonymous

• (B) Every school bus shall be equipped with amber and red visual signals meeting the requirements of section 4511.771 of the Revised Code, and an automatically extended stop warning sign of a type approved by the state board of education, which shall be actuated by the driver of the bus whenever but only whenever the bus is stopped or stopping on the roadway for the purpose of receiving or discharging school children, persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of developmental disabilities, or children attending programs offered by head start agencies.
    Anonymous

• A school bus driver shall not actuate the visual signals or the stop warning sign in designated school bus loading areas where the bus is entirely off the roadway or at school buildings when children or persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of developmental disabilities are loading or unloading at curbside or at buildings when children attending programs offered by head start agencies are loading or unloading at curbside. The visual signals and stop warning sign shall be synchronized or otherwise operated as required by rule of the board.
    Anonymous

• Those lights should be on no matter what! It's a safety issue! The driver should know better than that!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 6:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

Next question in
History experts - please help

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
Hard boiled eggs.