my 3 year old just wont listen!! any advice?

okay my kid is turning 3 next month..... he has a baby sister who is turning one next month as well..... he never had any jealousy problems until now.... i think..... he wants more attention now and hes hitting her now.... whenever she cries, is bothering him.... or just because he feels like it he picks on her to make her cry...... what can i do?? i tell him to stop, i try time outs but they dont seem to work anymore..... so what can i do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I often refer to three year olds as tiny terrorists! Anyway, I also have a three year old who has a selective hearing problem (doesn't listen, used to smack people and throw toys) and I found the best way to handle it is to not get uspet with her for the sake of my own sanity (because I often find myself more upset with me than her when I yell). We use the counting method (you have until the count of three) so that she instantly knows that she is doing something wrong and stops the behavior (because when mom gets to three she's in trouble). This is when I send her to her room. When she goes there she is not allowed to play with her toys. She has to lie in bed until she is calm enough to talk to me about what she did. It's like time out, but she doesn't get the benefit of having someone be in the same room as her so she can get the attention that she wants. I hope this helps! You are not alone.
    Singingmommy01

Answer by Singingmommy01 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• At age one babies start doing more and more cute things, and getting into more, and wanting to be around older siblings more, so it's actually a really common age for sibling rivalry. It's best to stop him from what he's doing, get down to eye level with him and calmly explain that it's not okay to hit, it hurts. Ask him if he likes to be hit, and how it makes him feel. Then let him know that it's ok to tell you when he wants attention, or if he needs space from his sister, and give him the words to do so. Make sure you give lots of praise when he is playing nicely, and set aside time to give him the attention he's seeking in a positive way.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 10:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009