Not seeing much point to seeing a pediatrician

Our whole family sees the same family practice doctor except my daughter because the NICU insisted. I'm just not seeing much of a point to seeing a pediatrician. She was born 6 weeks early spent a week in the NICU: 6 hours on the ventilator,2 days nasal canula with room air,4 days on the feeding tube. she discharged breathing,eating and keeping warm on her own at 35 weeks gestational age. At this point she is a 5lb 4oz newborn(birth weight 5lb 3oz) on mildly special formula(high calorie). There's honestly not much about her that makes her much of a special case. Also our doctor is at the same clinic as the pediatrician so in the past if he's felt the need to run it past him he's just walked down the hall and asked.

IDK leave her with the pediatrician for now or switch? How long would you leave her with the pediatrician?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 7:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2012 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I would go with my gut. If I trusted my family doctor and knew he could so easily get advice, I would stay with the family doctor.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Family doctors are trained on allot of things but not in anything specific on the other hand Pediatricians are trained specifically on children. Stay with your pediatric doctor for a while and when your baby turns one go back to your family doctor. It is what's best for your baby.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I prefer a pediatrician for my children. I feel like there more prepared to work and general practitioner it works always is. any general practitioner couldn't see children or shouldn't... I just like having a doctor for my kids specializes in treating children specifically.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• The pediatrician should be more familiar with children's issues and the better choice for the first few years.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I stopped taking the kids to the pediatrician after they started getting sports physicals for school with the family doctor. I take them now once a year for their physicals and they get everything that they would get at the pediatrician.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 8:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Pediatrician. I would not go to a Podiatrist for an ear ache. You go with the person who specializes in what you need, who is currently up to date on vaccine info for a child, who sees children every day so they can identify a problem right away, who has children's vaccines (in the correct doses) on hand, who has staff accustomed to dealing with children/babies, who is experienced in the latest child related illnesses going around etc.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I'm not sure. I always took mine to a pedi. Actually once my ds and I were sitting in the waiting room at the pedi's. He was 17 years old at the time. He looked around and saw all the babies and little kids there and asked me, "when can I go to a regualr adult dr?".....I said, "hmm, well I guess it's time." It just didn't occur to me to switch from the pedi until he was 18 lol. But we switched him after that appointment.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• If you feel better and more comfortable with your family doctor, then go with that.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I'd stick with a pediatrician for the first few years for the same reasons others gave.

But if you really do like and trust your family doc, could you ask him/her for a frank opinion? What do they think is best for the baby? And if you think you can't get a honest, non-biased opinion then stick with the ped.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I am reading this wrong. Like your baby is living with the pediatrician.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2012