Herpes during pregnancy

So I just got news today that I was positive for HSV (herpes virus) which I've never been informed of. I'm 35 weeks.... I already have enough stress but now I'm stressed even more as I googled it and found information about neonatal herpes and stillbirth. Does anyone else have any info on this??? My doctors weren't any help at all, they just kind of sat there when I was upset

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2012 in Pregnancy

• They may do s c section
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 8:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• That's ridiculous. Your doctors should tell you more!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• How did they test you for it?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• The facility did it through blood. What upsets me is I apparently tested positive in June but I'm JUST FINDING out now....they said the NP talked to me when I was positive but I'm sorry my partner and I would have remembered something like that!!! I'm already a section repeat but still can it pass the membranes?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I don't know! I'm going to make them test me for herpes now. I had NO idea they could find out through blood!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Idk when i got it cos I've never tested positive before this pregnancy. I'm at my wits end!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• medical fields are getting ridiculous now all the doctors do now a days and wait on the clock to say go home...they should have told you that on the first trips not when you this far along....but they will have to do a c-section...please ask more questions write them down and bring them to do the doctor with you if you have to :) better to be safe than sorry
    Babygurlbeauty

Answer by Babygurlbeauty at 8:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I also known someone who tested HIV positive but they didn't find out until birth..crazy huh
    Babygurlbeauty

Answer by Babygurlbeauty at 8:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Herpes can only be tested for by doing a blood test or 'popping' one of the herpes sores and testing the fluid.. other then that it will not usually come up in a routine pap smear. I do know that if you have an outbreak while you are in labor they will not let push as it will pass to the baby. Other than that I do not believe the baby will contract the virus UNLESS you have repeat outbreaks during pregnancy or you contracted the virus while you were pregnant. In these types of cases, yes, it can be fatal to the fetus.If you do not feel comfortable how your doctor reacted to your concerns, switch asap.
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 8:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• I'm so far along idk if I can, and how would I know when I contracted it since they decided to notify me now :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2012