Anyone have "humping" issues?

My 2yr old daughter's daycare called to say that they were concerned. They said she will walk away from everyone during the day and lay down and start to "hump" her stuffed animal. I know she is not being abused because she is only ever with me. I am a single mom so there is no one else. I do pat her bottom when she is sleepy to help her relax. I will now be stopping this. Does anyone know how to get her to stop?Any ideas?

singlemom5481

Asked by singlemom5481 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is only natural... my neice started around that age.... but because she is too young to know when the right time to do it is, she just needs to be redirected to doing something else. When she is three she should be old enough to understand she is only to do that at certain times, like in bed or whatev you choose. There is nothing wrong with it... my boys play with their pee pees too. Whatever you do don't make it seem like it is a bad thing her whole life b/c it could cause issues when she gets older. if you want to talk more about it pm me...
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If thats all shes doing then Id say its normal development. My son did the same thing but also said things that no child should know and later we found out his dad and dads gf were abusing him sexually. I didnt think much of the humping alone, because in child development classes they show it can be normal. My sons counselor and myself worked with my son to let him know it was ok to do so he didnt get a stigma attached to masterbation as being bad or wrong, but that he had to do it alone in private like in his room. I seriously doubt it came from you patting her bottom to get her to sleep.
    Anonymous