Name change

I want to change my first name from marjorie to something more desirable. My mom always calls me Marge and I can't stand it it just sounds harsh,especially the way she says it. I wouldn't know how to go about this so I'm hoping som eof you have an idea.
And you can give me some first name ideas,something that will sound good with Michelle my middle name.
Oh ya is a dishonor to your parents if you change your first name?

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 11:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2012 in Just for Fun

• What names do you like?

since I like the name Michelle, I would just go by that name no more middle name
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Why not just go by your middle name and leave the legalities for something more important? You do realize your mother is still going to call you Marge. She is not going to change what she calls you or how. Morjorie is a prefectly lovely name when said by the right person.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• my moms cousin changed her name, it used to be wendy. and now she is alex. no sex change or anything but from wat my mom said she always hated her name growing up. when she first changed it people had a hard time remembering not to call her by the name they were used to.. but sure enough few yrs later and alex finally stuck. im 23 and for all my life ive known/ heard her of her as Alex. If you hate your name go for it! just pick something you love. maybe pick one and keep repeating it for a few months. if your not sick of it by then, then go for it!!!
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• You have to go to city hall.. The city hall wherever your birth cert. originated from. There is a fee, I'm not sure if different states use a different set of rules but where I live the fee is $50 for a name change and you can change the whole thing first, middle, last..
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 11:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• p.s i agree, michelle is a pretty name and not harsh.. why not go by that instead? and i dont find it disrespectful to your parents for wanting to change it, they may not agree but thats because she clearly loved/loves the name and chose it for you for a reason. but again, if you hate it and your the one being called it for the rest of your life.. then id make a switch.
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2012

• You do this at the social security office.
    Marjorie and Marji are both cute! But I'd go by Michelle like the others said, if you hate your first name. It's not the grandest gesture to change your name with regard to your parents but it's up to you...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• How about brandi?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• brandi isnt for me
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• How about a nickname? Or your middle name, like others have suggested? I always hated my first name because it sounds harsh and unfeminine, so I started going by my first and middle names together in my family and on job applications, though both names are too long for most of my friends to bother with. It pisses my mom off to this day when she hears me called by my first and middle name both, but that's just an added benefit for me.

It's quite a long process to change your name legally, and you have to publish the name change in the newspapers where you live, and anywhere you have lived before for several years back, to make sure you aren't trying to hide from somebody. I looked into it and decided to skip the legalities and just start getting called something I like.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I hate my name Samantha so I go by my middle name brianne and make it short...bri hernandez is what I'm known as my mom is dead and idk dad so I'm good without permission or approval
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 2:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2012