When do you start potty training?

My daughter is constantly taking off her dirty diapers when no one is looking, and saying "yuck" when she hands them to you. But she is barely a toddler. Do I try potty training?

sher21

Asked by sher21 at 5:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she shows interest into it, yes ! No matter the age, it's the readiness of the child that counts. Show her the potty, tell her what it is for and sit her on the potty several times a day when you change her. If she does pee in the potty, praise her a lot ! If she does nothing, just keep telling her that this is where she needs to pee and poop.

You need a lot of calm and patience to potty train. Some child are easy and others take time.

Good luck !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 6:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• IMO and what I did. Shortly after my DD's started walking I started to potty training.

Answer by louise2 at 6:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• as soon as hey showed an interest. i did not push them and let them work at their own pace.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Your daughter is ready. I waited until my children were dry at night, but they didn't express an interest.

Answer by Bmat at 7:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• She's ready to start i'd say. I started DD when she was around 2. Just introducing her to the potty. I'd manage to catch her before she peed and I'd put her on the potty and she's go, but she wouldn't make the connection.

It wasn't until earlier this year (june) that she really took off with the potty training. I was so excited that I think I put like 3 messages here lol.

She finally got the hang of it a few weeks before she turned 3 (this month). The hardest part for us was pooping on the potty. Once she'd done it a few times she loved doing it lol.

She's 3 now and she hasn't worn a diaper since the end of September. A few accidents here and there but she's pretty much done.

Go for it mama. The only thing you'll need is patience.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Each child is different. WIth our youngest son he wanted to potty trained and by 2 1/2 he was. Now our dd was 3 1/2 before she was trained. I think one of the biggest problems is she had watched her brother and she would get upset about sitting down to pee. If there had been a way for her to stand and pee I think she would have been trained much sooner.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Baconbits, Didn't your DD ever see you go to the bathroom? that's how I potty trained my DD's I would bring them into the bathroom when I had to pee and sit them on their potty chair.

Answer by louise2 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I think when they start becoming aware of bodily functions, then you can start. It doesn't mean she will be completely potty trained any time soon and most children go through a regression period.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• absolutely, When my daughter would do that I would tell her next time you should go on the potty. After a couple weeks passed she started using the potty and loves being a big girl :0)
    Launasmom3210

Answer by Launasmom3210 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2012