How do I get my toddler to sleep all night in her toddler bed?

She used to sleep all night in her crib. We thought she was ready for the bed, but we were wrong. She prefers to sleep on the sofa and in our bed. Last night it was 1 am and she was still up. Please help with any ideas!!

kellychris

Asked by kellychris at 1:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the same problem. But this is what I do. I wait unitl she falls asleep and when shes down deeply knocked out, I pick her up and put her in her toddler bed and put a pillow near her (not to where she can turn and something bad happens) so she can feel comfort and when she wakes up she sees that she isnt in mommy and daddys bed or the couch. Another is when she doesnt want to get off the bed I go and sit on hers and pretend that it is "my bed" and she gets jealous and gets me off and she lays down. Try it!
    dha8718

Answer by dha8718 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son is starting to go through this. He should be about ready to not take a nap except once in a while. He isn't ready to go without a nap just yet. I will continue to work with him on this until he finally starts sleeping at his regular bedtime. You might even consider waking your daughter up earlier in the morning so she can nap sooner. I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• well, i know this sounds mean, but we have a lock on our kids' door, and no it isnt a fire hazard, its a sticky lock, so i can easily shove the door open in case of an emergency (plus their bedroom door is a half and half door like you find in some daycares i love it!!)
    no.1twinmommy

Answer by no.1twinmommy at 3:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Back into the crib?
    An alarm on the door so you'll know she's walked out?
    Take all of the toys and other playthings out of her room, tuck her in and if she falls asleep on the floor, oh well?

When you do take her back to bed, do not talk to her, do not remind her or scold her. Simply lead her back to bed, tuck her in, and leave. Not even a kiss - you already gave her her good night kiss. If she is old enough to understand, a sticker reward in the morning for staying in bed all night. Earn stickers for a small treat.

And do not let her get overtired. Don't take her nap away in the hopes that she will sleep better and deeper at night. The opposite is true. Overtired kids have a harder time falling asleep, staying asleep, and are more likely to wake earlier in the morning. And as the days go by, it gets worse. If she is already overtired, move her bedtime UP by 1/2 hour to an hour until she is caught up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009