How do you fit exercise in for yourself with a small child around?

My son is 2. It's hard to exercise with him around. Either he needs attention or he is getting under foot. I find I don't walk as fast when I am pushing him in a stroller and now that it's cold where I live, I make excuses not to go outside. Are there ways I can include him in my exercise?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• you mean chasing around a 2 yr old isnt enough exercise? Dang my kids always winded me and I thought I got enough of a work out doing that
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Well, I consider me playing with my son exercise. Lol he's a handful. We race, I give him piggy back rides, etc. We play with the kinect together. Also chasing him down, while carrying my 6 mo old daughter in her carseat. Also he's horsey sometimes, and when I put my DS to sleep, I walk her around instead of seating a rocking chair and do calf raises at the same time. You gotta be creative.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I bring my kids to the adult taekwondo classes and they play with the other kids there during class.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Early in the morning, before he wakes up.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• It's tricky. Aim for short workouts. Walk a bit more (see when you can leave the car and walk to get things done). Stand a bit more. Pushing a stroller is harder than just walking, so think of it as a workout and encourage yourself to walk a little faster (just watch your posture). I'd climb the stairs or do light upper body work while he's settling down for a nap - kind of made it a routine. I tried to go for a 10 minute jog in the mornings, but my husband started working earlier (no one around to stay home with kiddo) so I found a great morning yoga video at Target with 5 different 10 minute morning routines. IF I could get up 15 minutes earlier I'd try to do one of those. And I stretch before bed - not really "exercise" but still good for your body and calms me so I can sleep better (and maybe wake up in time to do some yoga).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Get a treadmill or elliptical machine or workout dvds, tell your child that you need some time to yourself, that you are going to take 30 minutes to exercise and he is not to bother you while you are working out. Teach your child that exercising is important to you & he needs to leave you alone long enough for you to finish. And ignore him when he comes whinning wanting something while you are working out. Make sure you give him something to eat or drink or take him to potty before you start working out, so then he won't have a good excuse to interupt you. If he still comes whinning wanting something while you are working out, firmly tell him it will have to wait till you get done exercising. He will soon learn that routine of yours & will soon learn to not bother you while you are working out. You just have to teach kids
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• you should get a jogging stroller and a bike carrier. jogging and bike ridding is a good way to shed pound. and your kid would have fun. i also have a two year old who's about to be three soon.he's very active, and always wants my attention. so i know where your coming from. i also lifts weights when i can and do abs. i really cant use the treadmill because he wants to get on. well thats what i do and seems to work. well i jog/power walk for five miles, and bike ride for 18 miles. if you put your mind to it you can do it.

mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 10:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• When DS was that age, I'd tell him I needed him to help me when I did workout videos. That got him to play along. Now that he's older, he wants to work out with me without being nudged. Make him part of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• bike stationary
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2012

• My kids are one of the main reasons I lost so much weight.. run and playing with him and at night I will do sit ups.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 12:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2012