My baby is almost 3 days old........

the hospital told me to only feed her 15 to 20 ml every 3 hours but she eats 2 to 3 ounceseach feeding is that ok ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A new born will eat what they need. So if she is hungry she will eat.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• first of all congrats momma. That sounds about right, your baby will stop when she is full. She will not over eat.
    Anonymous

• SI there a reason they said this? Is she having trouble eating or was she born perfectly healthy? A little more info is helpful
    Anonymous

• Unless there is some health problem why they told you she should eat that much, then I would let her eat what she wants. My son at 4 ounces when he came home. GL.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yes it is normal my son did the same thing he is 2 weeks now and he eats 4oz!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Feed your baby as much as they'd like or want right now. If she is not gaining then have her check out. If she's gaining normally then go with what you feel is best. I've had 3 babies in the same hospital and have had conflicting "advise" from nurses. Do what you feel is in the best interest for you and your baby.
    Congrats!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would say let him eat what he wants...hes growing..I have a problem when people put limits on their little ones food intake. But if youre BFing you can't overfeed him. Im BFing so Im not sure with the formula if thats possible. Congrats and good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yes it is ok. Like other posters said let her eat what she wants. when she is full she will let you know.
    Anonymous

• Babies have very small tummies (approximately the same size as their fist). In addition, artificial milks flow very fast out of a bottle making it VERY easy for babies (especially newborns) to over eat. This is especially dangerous durring the first 3 months when babies are getting the hang of breathing and are more likely to aspirate food still in their esoughagus.

I would follow the physician's recommendations... Stomach capacity references

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• ah...what do they know???
    every child is different.
    maybe they said 15ml-20ml per DAY?
    and what is the ratio of ml to oz.?
    has everyone gone over to the metric system?
    baby knows wat baby wants.
    trust urself & ur baby.
    just let the doc know when u take baby in for baby's 1 month check up.
    oh yeah, congrats!
    JANIKA66

Answer by JANIKA66 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2009