Is your life really that black or white?

What is up with all the controversy posts:

Conservatives vs Liberals (& vice versa)
Democrats vs Republicans (& vice versa)

Why must you "lump" all people together under one label; generally used in a negative connotation

Is it really that hard to remember that we are all individuals; and because we may feel one way on a certain topic dosen't mean we "blindly" walk some imaginary party line.

Rather than making posts about "why are liberals so immoral?" or "why are conservatives so uptight?" (made-up examples; I hope those aren't real! LOL) -- why not make posts on the actual issues/topics and invite an open & civil discussion or debate.

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There are plenty of posts like that, and they usually either end up with only 6 or 7 answers, or they go on civilly until someone comes in, usually anonymously, but not always, and posts something along the lines of "more haters" or "stupid racists, get over it, he won". Most times, those answers don't even remotely apply to the question (see all the stimulus threads about congress hijacked by comments about racist Obama haters or it's all Bush's fault). Up to that point, you'll see liberals and conservatives agreeing on assorted single issues.

There's a few people on both "sides" that are actively following what's going on in the world, but there are also people with no clue who see threads hit the popular list and dive in with sweeping generalizations. After enough of their garbage, people make those generalized threads out of frustration.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't believe the world is black & white there are always shades of gray. It's wrong to kill someone, unless they are a threat to you. The US Justice system allows for degrees of everything. I know very few people that toe their party line and those IMO are very narrow minded

The Monkees, of all groups, had an awesome song called "Shades of Grey". It's slow and sappy but the lyrics really hit home for me.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• When the world and I were young, just yesterday,
    Life was such a simple game, a child could play.
    It was easy then to tell right from wrong,
    Easy then to tell weak from strong,
    When a man should stand and fight or just go along.

(chorus)But today there is no day or night,
    Today there is no dark or light,
    Today there is no black or white, only shades of gray.

I remember when the answer seemed so clear,
    We had never lived with doubt or tasted fear.
    It was easy then to tell truth from lies,
    Selling-out from compromise,
    Who to love and who to hate, the foolish from the wise.

chorus

It was easy then to know what was fair,
    When to keep and when to share,
    How much to protect your heart and how much to care.

chorus

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i know my life is not black and white there is always that gray area that i fall into some times.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking. When we post good, intellectual questions, they only get up to 20 answers over the course of days. People on here like to sit back, answer silly generic questions, bash a few people, or THINK they are making a point with a good long rant.

still to this day, people don't even know what the stimulus plan is or what it involves!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I like your question, I was thinking the same thing.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• gemgem - really? That is an honest answer; you're not being sarcastic??

So what you are saying is whatever your party/leader stands for you are behind 100%; you've never deviated or thought well but I can see the other persons POV...etc?

Because to be honest; that kind of scares me to think there might be a large number of people out there who feel that way!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I've seen the people who just jump a post to say "You're guy sucks"...they honestly need to find something better to do with their time...or go back to the playground until their big girl pants fit.

My life is FULL of varying shades of grey...most ppl would consider me liberal, until a few choice topics are brought up - others I would consider liberal until a certian topic is brought up; etc...I am very glad to not live in a strictly black & white world!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have to agree with gemgem, my life is kind of the same. There are two choices, right or wrong, black or white, whatever the saying is. Is it right or wrong to be late to work? Wrong, so stop being late to work. Is it wrong to try and get an unfailr advantage over others? Wrong, so stop. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, for all aspects I suppose you could ask the same question for all situations. As far as lumping people together, we have a President that is very partisan and poop rolls downhill, it aint going to get any better anytime soon. He has to lead by example, and be bipartisan. Not ask us to do one thing and then he do another.
    How warm is the oval office today? How much did he spend on steak for the Superbowl? He criticized Bush's handling of Katrina and ignored Ky. He criticized McCain for fear tactics regarding his name, and is using fear tactics to pass the spending bill.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It does not matter what is said on this forum as it is not WHO you are but WHAT you are that people refer to you by. I have repeatedly shown my support for Steele, although I am a Democrat, b/c I appreciate his intelligence and policies even though I do not agree with his political stance in it's entirety but I am still an ignorant Democrat waiting for my check in some people's eyes. That is why I made my satire post asking where the "Democratic Handout Line" is as I have never seen it.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009