is it "right" to go around to thrift stores buy stuff then sell it on ebay?

I know a couple who do this and made 12 grand last year.
This doesn't seem "right" in my books....first of all they aren't reporting it as income so it's all tax free!
It just seems greedy, JMO

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• No I think its fine. I have a friend who does it and buys things from yard sales and sells them too. I buy things from wholesale shops and sell them on ebay for a profit too. Its a business so they should be reporting what they are selling or can get into trouble if they get caught. However I see nothing wrong with running a business, buying cheap things, reselling etc. Thats how you run a business isnt it and how you make money?

Answer by gemgem at 2:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• well they paid for it right? so once they own something it is their choice as to what they will do with it. Like when you buy something from any store you now have the right to keep it, give it away, throw it away or sell it. If you make a profit then great if not then oh well. Id suggest you keep your nose in your own business and not worry about theirs. If they are doing something wrong it will come back to get them, no need for you to get involved.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Why not? Just be honest and list the problems,and condition of products. Sometimes people find things at thrift stores or garage sales and I wish I could've had it!!!LOL. Some people may want what you have to offer.Just be honest and don't tell them its new!LOL
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It's their belongings since they pd for it, they can do what they want.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Whether they report it as income or not, they have to pay to post it on eBay and if it sells eBay gets a percentage of the final cost as well. Regardless, I think once they pay for it at the store it's their property and they can do what they want with it.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think it's a great idea haha. I have never thought of that before, seems fair to me they buy it and re-sell it. It's like having a Garage Sale you bought the stuff and you are selling it again and for sure you aren't reporting that to taxes.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 2:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• WHAT? Of course it is legal. Who doesn't do this? Girl this is how most eBay sellers make their money. It's not different than finding stuff at garage sales. Their loss is my gain. I have found so much stuff. I found a used palm pilot for 5.00 at a thrift store and resold it for 35.00 on eBay.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I see two sides to this.
    I work at a thrift store, many of my regulars are resellers. We did mine because it still brings the money into our store, gets the stuff sold and out of the store to make room for more stuff. It makes us money so we can fund our charity.
    Everyone wins, the store, the reseller, and the ebay buyer.
    I used to do it myself, Once I found this vintage Sesme Street blanket. Paid 50 cents for it, and made $106 on ebay!

However what I do find annoying is that there is this other Thrift store in town, they sell clothes for 50 cents so needy people can afford it. The resellers go in there when they first open with the new stuff out and buy all the really good stuff right away. Its like a competion in there, they is nothing left for the people who need it.
    vampjaded

Answer by vampjaded at 7:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Why not?
    I only feel it's wrong to sell something that was given to you.
    What you buy and resell is yours to sell. You paid for it, and if you can turn a profit what's the difference?
    Big stores buy tvs and stereos in bulk for about 50-400 bucks each, and sell to you for 100-1000 bucks. This is called business.
    You can also buy tvs for 50 bucks from china, and sell them if you like. You will need a ton of money to start with though, they wont let you buy just one!
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 8:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think its a great idea i have found a lot of great things at thrift stores most of them in new condition.
    florezitta10

Answer by florezitta10 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009