Who ARE the "anti-Christmas" people anyway?

We hear a lot about "they". "They" are taking Christ out of Christmas. "They" are ruining it for everyone. "They" are forcing companies to say Happy Holidays when they really want to say Merry Christmas.

Seem to be a lot more talk about they than examples of they. How much is real, how much is tantrums, paranoia and exaggeration?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I don't know. I'm getting my pretty lights up
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• "I don't know. I'm getting my pretty lights up"

How DARE you!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I am Christian, and I hate Christmas! As far as my faith goes, it dosn't seem to me to even be about what other Christians claim. It's not about Jesus's birthday, or good will towards men..etc..... I have no idea why Christians would think that all the money spent on this holiday is in any way a Christian practice. I personlly feel it is a mockery of Jesus's birthday. BUT with that being said, the reason I hate Christmas is not for my religious views, it is simply because it is extremely stressful for me, all the gifts to buy, it just seems like we are pressured to buy gifts for everyone. I wish we could just stop this holiday in my family. But where do you stop? My kids are mostly grown now and some of them have kids of their own, so they can celebrate how they choose, but I'd like to totally skip it. Then I feel guilty not getting the grandkids gifts.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• You gotta figure there are some extreme ass-holes out there for everything. I don't know any, but then again I don't know any white supremacists but I know they exist.

And honestly, I think the extremists are being used as a scape-goat for whatever the pro-Christmas complainer is bothered by. Like take why is Christ being taken out of Christmas. Well, partially because of folks like me who want to share in the fun and good will but don't believe in Christ. And partially because Christianity is undergoing a fundamental change in it's ranks - like how more people than ever are veering away from tradition and are joining the "I believe in God, but I don't really follow the Church" crowd. And partially because the non-Christ stuff is just fun for everyone, including devout Christians (Santa and his elves and reindeer aren't in the bible as far as I know, right?)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Aww.. I'm sorry robyann. Yeah, you gotta get gifts for the grandkids (they are just kids), but do you have to buy stuff for each adult? Could you just get the whole family a gift (cool board or video game to share or even big basket of treats.. something not too expensive)? I don't know any adult who expects lots of gifts, but no one seems to want to be the first to opt out.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I am so conditioned now to saying Happy Holidays, that last year, just to buck the pc system, I said Merry Christmas a few times. Felt good. No idea who the "they" people are. Good question!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• "They" are loud, but a minority. Keep Christ in Christmas. Keep Yule in Yuletide. Your (collective - no one specific person or faith) season (and the vast amount sacred and secular celebrations) is what you (see above qualifier) make it to be. You want to make it about Christ's birth. Fantastic. You want to make it about the return of the sun. Wonderful. You want to celebrate Hanuka. Great. You want to enjoy Santa. Knock your socks off. Have a combination going on? Enjoy!

But those who complain about how others celebrate or don't celebrate are only working to mar their own experience.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Well THEY are probably the ones that don't believe that Christ was not actually born on December 25th and that the Christians hijacked the holiday in order to try and convert more pagans. Guess no one else is allowed to practice any other religion!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• People see what they want to see- I, for one, do not allow anyone to ruin my holidays-my enjoyment of Christmas is not hinged on someone I do not even know saying "Happy Holidays"- I have no issue using "Happy Holidays" because in the spirit of Christmas, I do not want to offend anyone-

I do however, dislike holiday displays in early November-that kind of gives me holiday fatigue and dampens the spirit by December 25th-but, it is what it is-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

That's two strikes against you then. 1) How dare you celebrate Christmas, you unbeliever you! 2) Ick, Christmas decorations before December... so gross.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2012