Who ARE the "anti-Christmas" people anyway?

We hear a lot about "they". "They" are taking Christ out of Christmas. "They" are ruining it for everyone. "They" are forcing companies to say Happy Holidays when they really want to say Merry Christmas.

Seem to be a lot more talk about they than examples of they. How much is real, how much is tantrums, paranoia and exaggeration?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I'm anti-Christmas. Hate the damned holiday. I only celebrate because of the kids. Besides, I like wrapping gifts and baking and cooking. But I like that stuff only during a certain week in December... not from October to January.

But I'm assuming that's not who we're talking about. Idk if those people even exist. I mean, yes there are people who speak out against religious displays in public places, but that's because they're tired of the hypocrisy. Christians can have displays everywhere and that's okay, but you'd better believe that those same Christians who are whining about their displays not being allowed would also be the biggest whiners if a non-Christian display were put in the same public place!

And I wish people Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings because the people I know are not all Christian. It's common sense to respect that not all people celebrate Christmas.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• It seems like a lot of people in here are.
    Anonymous

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

*********************************
    How so?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Growing up Christmas was not necessarily just "Christian" holiday. Not all Christmas movies were "christian" themed. Christmas time was about thinking of others and goodwill towards men, regardless of what one believes. It use to be a time of coming together a uniting of sorts. I still believe it can be.
    Anonymous

• I find it pathetic that "they" are so concerned about what others are doing or saying during the holiday season. Why can't people just enjoy the damn season with all the pretty decorations and pretty lights. Does it REALLY matter if someone says Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas? Seriously, is it that freaking important?

It's all the ignorant and childish bickering that ruins the holiday season and makes people hate it. It's far passed time for people to just knock the shit off and ENJOY THE FUCKING SEASON!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2012

• I think Season's Greetings works well. December is such a beautiful festive time of year in the United States. We are a changing culture and recognizing that is respectful. Happy Holodays works well but I tend to stick with Season's Greetings. If someone is upset I will not take responsibility for their feelings. Honestly, at this point the country has to realize it is not mostly Christians. It is so much richer than that.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2012

• Well, they could be anyone really. My husband is a Christian who does NOT celebrate Christmas due to the pagan origins (his religion FORBIDS the celebrating of Christmas). I'm an atheist who celebrates Christmas and would do more to celebrate it if my Christian husband would stop glaring at me and calling me rebellious for putting up a Christmas tree! So really, it's just all depends because anyone could be Mr. Scrooge when it comes to this time of year.
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 1:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• The people who commercialized it!

Answer by older at 6:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Sorry this is just too appropriate:

I don't believe in Jesus but, I celebrate Christmas.  It's fun (except for all the crowds at the mall & all of the expense).  I grew up doing so, so it's a part of my hertiage.  However, I realize that other people have had different upbringings and are from different cultures.  So, I say the general "Happy Holidays", unless I specifically know someone's beliefs.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2012