Who ARE the "anti-Christmas" people anyway?

We hear a lot about "they". "They" are taking Christ out of Christmas. "They" are ruining it for everyone. "They" are forcing companies to say Happy Holidays when they really want to say Merry Christmas.

Seem to be a lot more talk about they than examples of they. How much is real, how much is tantrums, paranoia and exaggeration?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• "The people who commercialized it! " It has always been commercialized.
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I don't know I never understood how saying Holiday (original meaning Holy days ) is any more secular then Christmas. Christmas in America is such a hodgepodge of different religious traditions I don't understand .
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I don't celebrate Christmas but i have heard alot of people talking about this
    xoPxo

Answer by xoPxo at 5:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• "they" are the Atheists who think they need to "educate" Christians on the "real" story of Christmas...and they are few. they arent ruining anything, they are taking Christ out of Christmas, they arent forcing companies to do anything. but they are assholes.

most of it is tantrums and paranoia from the Christians that are assholes that stems from the behavior of the Atheists who are assholes.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Sorry this is just too appropriate:

I don't believe in Jesus but, I celebrate Christmas.  It's fun (except for all the crowds at the mall & all of the expense).  I grew up doing so, so it's a part of my hertiage.  However, I realize that other people have had different upbringings and are from different cultures.  So, I say the general "Happy Holidays", unless I specifically know someone's beliefs.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• The people who commercialized it!

Answer by older at 6:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Well, they could be anyone really. My husband is a Christian who does NOT celebrate Christmas due to the pagan origins (his religion FORBIDS the celebrating of Christmas). I'm an atheist who celebrates Christmas and would do more to celebrate it if my Christian husband would stop glaring at me and calling me rebellious for putting up a Christmas tree! So really, it's just all depends because anyone could be Mr. Scrooge when it comes to this time of year.
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 1:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I think Season's Greetings works well. December is such a beautiful festive time of year in the United States. We are a changing culture and recognizing that is respectful. Happy Holodays works well but I tend to stick with Season's Greetings. If someone is upset I will not take responsibility for their feelings. Honestly, at this point the country has to realize it is not mostly Christians. It is so much richer than that.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2012

• I find it pathetic that "they" are so concerned about what others are doing or saying during the holiday season. Why can't people just enjoy the damn season with all the pretty decorations and pretty lights. Does it REALLY matter if someone says Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas? Seriously, is it that freaking important?

It's all the ignorant and childish bickering that ruins the holiday season and makes people hate it. It's far passed time for people to just knock the shit off and ENJOY THE FUCKING SEASON!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2012

• Growing up Christmas was not necessarily just "Christian" holiday. Not all Christmas movies were "christian" themed. Christmas time was about thinking of others and goodwill towards men, regardless of what one believes. It use to be a time of coming together a uniting of sorts. I still believe it can be.
    Anonymous