Who ARE the "anti-Christmas" people anyway?

We hear a lot about "they". "They" are taking Christ out of Christmas. "They" are ruining it for everyone. "They" are forcing companies to say Happy Holidays when they really want to say Merry Christmas.

Seem to be a lot more talk about they than examples of they. How much is real, how much is tantrums, paranoia and exaggeration?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Religious Debate

• anyone who so much as thinks dirty un-Christian thoughts by daring to make the holiday season about anything other than Jesus. they are the anti-christmas folk.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Christians own December No other holidays are allowed... It's merry Christmas or nothing, no Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Yule or any other ones I'm missing.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I don't know, but the Christians saying it aren't very Christian.

If I say Happy Holidays, its because I want to encompass everyone. When I spread goodwill to all, I mean it. I don't want to limit my well wishes to just those who believe what I do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I'm honestly confused by this assertion out there because I've never met anyone that fits that description. Ever. It's always a vague "those people" or "people who hate Christmas" or "people who hate religious Christmas activities", etc but I've never figures out who those "people" are.

Surely not wanting government money to pay for security for a private installation in a public area isn't considered Christmas bashing, is it?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• It seems like a lot of people in here are.
    *********************************
    How so?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I'm rather Anti-Christmas. It's the one holiday I actually HATE! But I couldn't give to shits what other people do. You want to say Merry Christmas, go for it. You want to celebrate, go for it... I couldn't care less.

The only thing I WILL say is that I do prefer for companies - especially public companies - to do their best to be neutral in their decor and greetings. It's only fair. If they're taking money from people of all faiths, and they're technically owned by people of all faiths, they should have equal respect for all faiths. And I think IF government buildings wish to decorate they should stay winter related and leave religion out of it altogether... Separation and all... Now, privately owned businesses/companies, that's a whole different story, put up a 50ft tree for all I care. But that's me, I'm not going to write nasty letters if someone disagrees.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I don't know. I'm getting my pretty lights up
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I find it pathetic that "they" are so concerned about what others are doing or saying during the holiday season. Why can't people just enjoy the damn season with all the pretty decorations and pretty lights. Does it REALLY matter if someone says Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas? Seriously, is it that freaking important?

It's all the ignorant and childish bickering that ruins the holiday season and makes people hate it. It's far passed time for people to just knock the shit off and ENJOY THE FUCKING SEASON!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2012

• "They" are loud, but a minority. Keep Christ in Christmas. Keep Yule in Yuletide. Your (collective - no one specific person or faith) season (and the vast amount sacred and secular celebrations) is what you (see above qualifier) make it to be. You want to make it about Christ's birth. Fantastic. You want to make it about the return of the sun. Wonderful. You want to celebrate Hanuka. Great. You want to enjoy Santa. Knock your socks off. Have a combination going on? Enjoy!

But those who complain about how others celebrate or don't celebrate are only working to mar their own experience.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• "I don't know. I'm getting my pretty lights up"

That's two strikes against you then. 1) How dare you celebrate Christmas, you unbeliever you! 2) Ick, Christmas decorations before December... so gross.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2012