What is a better dog breed for a family with 3 kids?

Two of the kids are young toddlers. A Lab or a weinheimer? I have heard both are good dogs but labs take longer to mature through the puppy stage, but weinheimers are bigger and tend to kock kids over a lot and not realize their power. These are 2 of my favorite dogs breeds, but I have never owned either one with kids.

deputywife

Asked by deputywife at 2:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Mini schnauzer is what we are looking into. We had a lab that we loved dearly that had cancer and had to be put down. We needed a smaller breed and the schnauzer looks like a good fit. :) Love labs though. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would have to say a Lab!! they are soo loving & good natured! I have one myself! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 2:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my daughter has a lab and a new baby...the dog is hyper but listens.they have a good temperment...i have a german shepherd.they are good family dogs but teritorial.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I've had several different breeds. Boxers are great but very energetic. That's probably my all time favorite breed. Collies are also great with kids. My yellow Lab/Golden Retriever mix was excellant with my 1st born. We have a chocolate lab right now. She is sooooo tolerant and gentle with my vivacious 17 month old. My daughter lays on her and literally pokes at ALL of her body parts naming them. ex: eyes, nose, teeth, boobies...
    TheNeverLady

Answer by TheNeverLady at 2:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have a black lab and he just loves our 5-month-old son. He will lay down next to him whenever he's on the floor. He's so careful around him. I can't wait until my son is older when they can play with each other. They'll tire eachother out.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine had a black lab and it used to scare me around her baby. It was so big that sometimes when it walked past the baby it would knock her over with its tail. My friend would just tell the baby to get up and not try to prevent the dog from doing it. I have a chihuahua, which is very small but I would not recommend one. I got mine when I lost my baby and she was like a baby, very spoiled. Then I had the boys, she is so jealous that she growls at them if they walk near her but protects them if someone is going toward them.
    aury1975

Answer by aury1975 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would say pick out a few breeds that you really like and research them really well to make sure they will fit with your family and lifestyle. Example: If your family is very active then a lab would work but if you are more couch potatoe people maybe a english bulldog. Also make sure you are aware of the health risks associated with the breeds and talk to vets about prices associated with these problems.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• One of my friends had a weinheimer and they recently got rid of it, gave it to some lady who lives in Malibu on 10 acres so the dog has lots of running room. Not because she was rough with the kids, but because they are so active, they didn't have time to give here the exercise she needed after they had their kids, but she was very good with the kids. My neighbor has a lab and although she is a big dog, she is real good around the kids too, but a little hyper. Do your research and you will find the right dog for your girls to crawl all over. We have a Basset and he really is the best dog, but sheds way too much. The girls climb all over him and he just lays there and looks at them as if to say "are you done yet?"
    princessmommyx2

Answer by princessmommyx2 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i have huskey who my son loves but I think my huskey only loves him cause my son gives him food but any way my huskey lets him climb on him pull his ears and fur but for me Id say a golden retriver and lab just cause I heard they were great family pets
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You know, sounds to me like you like the hunting breeds... I'd avoid the lab for the sole purpose your children are still so young. Yes, they're good dogs to have around with the proper obedience and control, but they're 3 and 4 before they actually mature and settle down. Not to mention they're clumsy, and because of their size can take food from your children's hands, etc.

Weimaraners are good dogs too, but again, need lots of training to grow up. Being a sight-hound, they're bred to hunt small game, rodents, etc... so chasing and extremely high energy are a given for this breed.

However, not many people really consider the Australian Shepherd. Try this link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_shepherd
    Aussies come in a range of sizes, you can find miniatures that only grow to 15-18" in height, and you also have big boned and small boned varieties. Because they're a herding dog, as they mature, they live to
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009