I'm really hoping some of you can help me figure out how to write a college scholarship essay...

I am trying to go back to school for medical coding... I desperately need financial aid. I have to write an essay requesting an in house scholarship & I have no idea how to write an essay like that... any suggestions??? Thank you in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in

• It sounds like they want to know details of your expenses (daycare, school supplies for kids, medical/insurance costs, books, etc.) and how you'd use it if you got the aid. Then tie that into some description of your dreams and how education is important. Perhaps start off with something similar to...

As a mother of X children, it is not only a dream to continue my education but also a need to be a role model for my children. I would like to show them that education is important and that one should never give up. The present is not only at stake but the future is as well because continuing my education would forever ripple a change in my children's perspective of values.

If someone had a few thousand dollars to give away and asked you, "Why should I give this money to you?", how would you answer? Are you a hard worker? What has motherhood taught you about being efficient with a budget? about prioritizing?
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• You aren't begging. You're telling the judges who read the essay how the funds will help you. They have the money, you need it, why should they give it to you as opposed to someone else? Mr_Prissy's advice of what t put in the essay is right on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• go to your writing lab
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Are you a single mom? If so, pull that into the discussion; that raising a child on your own is financially challenging and that you find yourself needing assistance to provide your child(ren) with a better future.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• The guidlines I received was: Attach an essay addressing your needs and how the funds will be used. But I don't want it to turn out to sound like begging... Not sure how to go about it...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Did they give you any guidelines at all?

I would give a brief summary about who you are, what your background is, why you want to achieve the goal of receiving this certification and why a scholarship would help you achieve that goal.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2012