Single moms!

Your children are at risk, 33% greater risk of being abused, sexually or physically. Be very careful who you date, and who you leave your children alone with!

Question, do you believe this or no? (sorry had to make it a question) really it's just a public service announcement! lol

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, I do believe it. I was in charge of therapeutic care for a state. The children who receive those services are the ones you read about in the paper. Nine times out of ten it was the boyfriend who hurt the child. Women who bring men they barely know into their homes are risking the lives of their children. It is beyond stupid to introduce every Tom, Dick and Harry to you children much less have them in your home overnight or babysitting.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I would want to have the source and question it seriously unless I had multiple and varied sources. Certainly the more people your child is left alone with and the quality of the people (not economic status but type) will affect the risks.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• i have chosen not to date and be a mom to my kids, I'll have time for dating when they're older. In high school going our with their friends, as well. I'm very selective of even my co-workers who interact with my kids.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No abuse happens under all parents noses!
    Ms.Maaamaof2

Answer by Ms.Maaamaof2 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• I think we are all aware with whom we have our kids around. Well, hopefully we all should be!! Thx
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2012

• To a certain extent I agree. A dating mom will be in contact with more men than a married mom (ideally, lol) and heir children will be exposed to those new relationships.
    But I also think that a responsible woman will be more careful of whom she dates and there's no reason to suggest that ALL unmarried women are at a risk of bringing home an abuser. We're too paranoid. The vast majority of men are not suck pedophile abusers. Let's keep it real

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• "when you are having men in and out of your life"

Maybe the % isn't higher because of single moms dating, but because single moms are out working their @sses off to afford their kids so aren't home as much. This question has bothered me because my ex told me that no man would ever want me, that the ONLY reason any man would ever date me was to get to the kids. It was all part of his controlling BS.
    I doubt that the statistic is true, but to put guilt on single moms for things they have to do (and yes, I felt very guilty for not being home with my kids when I was going to school and working to put food on the table) . . . I don't agree with that.

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Common sense.
    When did people lose it?

I do have this to say in regard to children of single parents being at a higher risk- statistically, that may very well be true. However, families often like to hide their dirty little secrets. Children who are abused within "Intact family units" are more likely to repost the abuse to a family member than to an outside adult. It is less likely to be reposted than if it were reported to, say, a school or daycare worker.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• it's not true for me, seeing as how i don't date, and don't plan to anytime soon. my children were at greater risk for abuse when i was with their father, actually. so now i plan on being very, very picky, IF i ever choose to be in a relationship again.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Hmm.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2012