Single moms!

Your children are at risk, 33% greater risk of being abused, sexually or physically. Be very careful who you date, and who you leave your children alone with!

Question, do you believe this or no? (sorry had to make it a question) really it's just a public service announcement! lol

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, I do believe it. I was in charge of therapeutic care for a state. The children who receive those services are the ones you read about in the paper. Nine times out of ten it was the boyfriend who hurt the child. Women who bring men they barely know into their homes are risking the lives of their children. It is beyond stupid to introduce every Tom, Dick and Harry to you children much less have them in your home overnight or babysitting.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Hmm... well. I think its misleading. Any parent, regardless of marital status, should be wary of who is around their child at all times.

But no, I'm not more worried just because someone has a statistic on something. My kids are at risky for many things if you listen to the right person.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• No. I don't date much, and when I do, I don't bring them around my kids unless it's very serious - which it never is, so it doesn't happen.

I think any parent, married or not, should be cautious in who they bring around their children. And when you look at all the cases of a parent molesting their own child, I don't think that being married should cause a parent to think that their child is perfectly safe. I'm not saying all parents would molest their own kids, but neither would all men/women that a single parent dates.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Right, but it makes sense to me that your kids are at a higher risk when you are having men in and out of your life. Some child predators date single moms just to get at kids, easy access unfortunately!
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I'm not a single parent, but.. most PSA's have some sort of actual fact behind it.

Single mothers are more prone to psychiatric issues or depression, now that's a PSA..

I agree with the above posters.. Single or not one would be an idiot not to be careful of who they let their children around. I was raised by a single parent, none of the above happened to me. A lot of people I know now that did have a 2 parent home are the ones who were molested or abused.
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 10:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• No I don't believe this to be true at all.
    Anonymous

• Maybe they would be at a higher risk if the mom was dating and bringing men home around her kids. BUT kids can be abused by their own bio father too. I think whether your married or single you need to be very aware of who is around your kids.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Agree with PP.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Yes, single or not, mothers beware!

JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• The only man my kids ever met when I was dating is my husband. I don't think single moms who have men coming and going out of their kids lives really have their kids best interest at heart to begin with.

Answer by missanc at 11:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2012