Single moms!

Your children are at risk, 33% greater risk of being abused, sexually or physically. Be very careful who you date, and who you leave your children alone with!

Question, do you believe this or no? (sorry had to make it a question) really it's just a public service announcement! lol

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, I do believe it. I was in charge of therapeutic care for a state. The children who receive those services are the ones you read about in the paper. Nine times out of ten it was the boyfriend who hurt the child. Women who bring men they barely know into their homes are risking the lives of their children. It is beyond stupid to introduce every Tom, Dick and Harry to you children much less have them in your home overnight or babysitting.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Hmm... well. I think its misleading. Any parent, regardless of marital status, should be wary of who is around their child at all times.

But no, I'm not more worried just because someone has a statistic on something. My kids are at risky for many things if you listen to the right person.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Maybe they would be at a higher risk if the mom was dating and bringing men home around her kids. BUT kids can be abused by their own bio father too. I think whether your married or single you need to be very aware of who is around your kids.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• No. I don't date much, and when I do, I don't bring them around my kids unless it's very serious - which it never is, so it doesn't happen.

I think any parent, married or not, should be cautious in who they bring around their children. And when you look at all the cases of a parent molesting their own child, I don't think that being married should cause a parent to think that their child is perfectly safe. I'm not saying all parents would molest their own kids, but neither would all men/women that a single parent dates.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• The only man my kids ever met when I was dating is my husband. I don't think single moms who have men coming and going out of their kids lives really have their kids best interest at heart to begin with.

Answer by missanc at 11:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• it's not true for me, seeing as how i don't date, and don't plan to anytime soon. my children were at greater risk for abuse when i was with their father, actually. so now i plan on being very, very picky, IF i ever choose to be in a relationship again.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Common sense.
    When did people lose it?

I do have this to say in regard to children of single parents being at a higher risk- statistically, that may very well be true. However, families often like to hide their dirty little secrets. Children who are abused within "Intact family units" are more likely to repost the abuse to a family member than to an outside adult. It is less likely to be reposted than if it were reported to, say, a school or daycare worker.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• "when you are having men in and out of your life"

Maybe the % isn't higher because of single moms dating, but because single moms are out working their @sses off to afford their kids so aren't home as much. This question has bothered me because my ex told me that no man would ever want me, that the ONLY reason any man would ever date me was to get to the kids. It was all part of his controlling BS.
    I doubt that the statistic is true, but to put guilt on single moms for things they have to do (and yes, I felt very guilty for not being home with my kids when I was going to school and working to put food on the table) . . . I don't agree with that.

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I'm not a single parent, but.. most PSA's have some sort of actual fact behind it.

Single mothers are more prone to psychiatric issues or depression, now that's a PSA..

I agree with the above posters.. Single or not one would be an idiot not to be careful of who they let their children around. I was raised by a single parent, none of the above happened to me. A lot of people I know now that did have a 2 parent home are the ones who were molested or abused.
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 10:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Agree with PP.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2012