How do interpret this quote?

"Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built. "
Abraham Lincoln

Do you think this quote could apply in today's society? Today's government?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No.

The quote would be now, Let he who has a house also build one for his neighbor, because that's the nice thing to do. After all, isn't someone else's family as important as your own?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yes, but in those days neighbors helped rebuild, not w/ money but they'd come over and help them build it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Actually quotes like that and beliefs such as the ones Lincoln made are what made this country great. Its sad so many dont understand that life isnt about getting a hand out. Sure its nice to get things given to you but you shouldnt rely on your neighbor for anything. You should be capable and willing to support your family on your own.

Answer by gemgem at 2:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Exactly, Karrie, not with money. Just work. Now, it doesn't matter how much you give to charity, the government is still going to take MORE of your money and give it to someone that it deems less fortunate . I think I'd have less of a problem with this if I hadn't seen so much abuse of the system

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• ya but the bible has a good quote to

love thy neighbor as you love thy self, at least i think that what it states the words could be off a little bit.

so would that not mean help your neighbor..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• When all the neighbors decide they "need" help, who is left to do the helping. You can always find someone better off than yourself that you could say should give you what they have. Of course, by the time the last guy is finishing "helping" all his neighbors have what he has, he won't having anything either. I guess everyone will be happy then. When nobody has anything that someone else doesn't also have, regardless of how hard they work.
    Anonymous

• mrssundin, I see where you are coming from. But look at the first part of the quote:

Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another

IMO, The quote says nothing of NOT helping. It is speaking to people who feel they are entitled, and CHOOSE not to work for themselves. jmo.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I do not believe ol Abe was talking about his physical house. He was talking about physical character and substance. Meaning, those of you who have no moral character and substance, do not degrade the character of a fellow man. For when you decide to present yourself and your worthiness it will be attacked the same.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• A house is a metaphor for what a person is built on.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I dont think refered to a physical house. I think it was a statement of one's character.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2009