Crock Pot Meals (which do *not* contain pre packaged or processed foods)

We wound up with a crock pot a few weeks back and I have not used on in years. I used one quite frequently and had a ton of quick crock "recipes" that I'd come up with over the years, unfortunately, in the midst of the craziness of the past year and relocating to the Netherlands, I no longer have my cook book (you know, the one you stash all of those hand written recipes in).

I will *not* use canned, or prepackaged ingredients, which is unfortunate because most of what I am finding contains canned or powdered soup mixes, flavour packets, etc.
Nor are we big meat eaters. In fact, my hubby and I rarely eat meat. Much less prepare it (though I do have stewed beef and veg in the crock right now).

Have you any good suggestions for crock meals which don't contain the icky canned goop?

*side note, I have very little fridge or freezer storage. I can't accommodate the frezer bag meals :/

Thanks guys!!!

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2012 in Food & Drink

• This is what I've found: Anything that you would make in a Dutch oven or tagine can work in a crock pot—just minimize added moisture (especially for tagine recipes), since the low temps don't cause much water loss during cooking. Roughly double the cooking time when converting recipes from other methods to crock pot cooking.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I don't have ideas for you because most of my cp meals center around meat, BUT, you can take ideas from the freezer meals and just make 1 in your cp instead of storing multiple meals in the freezer!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• There are many crock pot recipes online. Search allrecipes, many probably don't have processed ingredients.
    I make goulash in mine, just stew meat that I flour and brown in a pan, I put chopped onion, garlic, crushed tomato, tomato paste, paprika and I toast and grind caraway seeds. I add some chicken stock or water and let it cook.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Found this for you, hope it gives you some ideas
    http://www.wisebread.com/25-tasty-vegetarian-crock-pot-recipes

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Thanks Sharon!

I'm also devoid of a proper oven (we have a convection nuke box, which works for a lot of things, but the kitchen is very small and simply won't accommodate an oven), so that limits what I would normally make for a quick meal as well.

More or less, I need ideas. I've never been one to cook from a recipe (I learned to cook based on what was in the pantry, not from a book), so it's pretty hard for me to look at something and think "Yeah, that sounds good!". However, getting some feedback makes coming up with new ideas a lot easier!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• YUMMY Pulled Pork
    my husband makes this (key word husband!!)
    get a pork butt
    fill your crock pot with water half way
    put the butt in with some onions, pepper and two tablespoons liquid smoke
    set it on low and cook all day (or you can do it the night before)
    then take the butt out and dump the water
    shred
    put your favorite bbq sauce on the pork and eat!!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I know you can make chicken and dumplings or ham and dumplings in a crock pot. Never done it myself, but I know it can be done. Most of my ideas are centered around meat though. And tried to find a recipe for them, but it seems like every recipe called for soup and bisquick, something we have never used in them before.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Jules, I learned to bake from scratch, so I've only ever used one of those mixes once- I couldn't believe how bad it tasted!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Beans and rice, I'll see if I can find the recipe, haven't made it that way since I was working full time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2012

• This looks close except mine had tomatoes, not bell pepper.  Doesn't really matter what veggies you use, though, just the cooking times for it all.

http://www.diannesdishes.com/2011/02/vegetarian-slow-cooker-red-bea.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2012