How do you tell someone to stop?

How do you tell an alcoholic that they need to stop drinking? How do you get them to see that it is ruining the family, before it's too late? How do you tell that to someone that has anger issues as well? How can it be done so that you are still together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Thank you all so much. I talked to his mother and she called him and talked to him. Then we agreed that he needed counseling, and we were lucky to find someone for him to see this week. We will take it one step at a time, and I will pray that this is the help he needs. I did inform him that if the drinking continued, that I could not allow our child to witness it, and we would have to leave him. He understood and was hurt more that he was hurting us, than anything else. Thank you so much. Please continue to have me in your prayers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You can try and intervention by getting not just you, but any friends, family, parents, coworkers etc to come over and confront the person about their drinking problem.

Answer by gemgem at 2:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• you don't tell them. you have to take action
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 2:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• this is exactly what my parents went through. my mom finally stopped when i tried to kill myself. i would say, get that person into a rehab program immediately. this is a health issue for them, it is a safety issue for the whole family, and it is a moral obligation for you. alcoholics don't see that they are hurting others, and it can be too late when they do.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• an Intervention
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 3:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• go to Alanon and get help for yourself. he won't change til something happens - some sort of bottom. an intervention is a good idea, maybe there is a counselor from a rehab or the hospital detox that can help guide the intervention. You cannot make him or tell him to stop drinking. Call the cops when he 's drunk and leaves in the car. Do not leave your children with him. An alcoholic will do whatever necessary to get their booze and that means driving drunk with your kids in the car.
    Take care of yourself and your children
    Good Luck
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 3:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would get away from them and pray for them.I wouldn't risk him being around my children or me. If you all are important to him,he will prove it
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• U NEEDTO JOIN ALON OR THE GROUP THAT AA THIS FOR FAMILY MEMBERS. THEY WILL EXPLAIN TO U THAT THE ONLY PERSON U CAN CONTROL IS YOURSELF. AS LONG AS U DONT ENABLE THE OTHER PERSON U R DOING ALL U CAN. U NEED TO BE ABLE TO C THAT AND THEY R THE PEOPLE TO HELP U DO THAT RIGHT NOW. THEY ALSO CAN HELP WITH WHERE TO GO IF AN INTERVENTION IS THE WAY TO APPROACH THIS . BUT U NEED TO C FOR YOURSELF THAT U CANT MAKE ANYONE DO ANYTHING THEY R NOT READY TO DO. GL.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009