Does unplugging appliances reduce costs?

Hi-I'm trying to reduce household costs. I was just wondering if it is worth my time to unplug the microwave, t.v., clocks, lamps, etc.? Thx. Any imput would be helpful.

ilovebooksfan

Asked by ilovebooksfan at 2:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yep, Don't forget the tv..It really does...Even when NOT in use they use electricity anyway.
    Anonymous

• Yes even though they are not being "used" they are still drawing electric current to that socket. Especially phone chargers.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• IF you have a DVR you are not going to want to unplug your tv. But yea. we keep everything but our tv unplugged. and have cut back on our cell phone bill, had or home phone turned off, cut back on or Chanels with dish too. Everything helps alittle
    LizWithAvon

Answer by LizWithAvon at 2:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yes. dh and i tried it for a month and our bill was $18.23 less. but who's counting!!!! lol
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 2:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Yup- it's an easy thing to do! I heard each plugged-in appliance or charger is like a dripping faucet... adds up a lot over time (and with multiple outlets going!) We're saving with that and with using drying racks ($11 at Walmart) half the time rather than the dryer! Feels so good to find ways to save and conserve energy!
    Don't forget the baby monitor charger and the power strip!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Yes. Many electronics that are turned "off" are actually on "standby" and use 40% if not more of the electricity that they do when they are on. It is said that an average of 10% of your household electricity bill is from wasted power.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009