What do you do when your family pressures you about how many kids you should have?

Example 1: you only want one child and after you have one they keep asking you and trying to convince you that you should have another

or

Example 2: (which is my dilemma) You have two kids and you want more, but your family tells you that two is enough anymore and that you have one boy and one girl so now your family should be complete.

What would you do if you feared your family would be very upset with you if you made the choice to have more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Nov. 21, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I would stick my head high and tell my family to shut their damn mouths. This is YOUR life not there's. its up to YOU and your SO on how many kids you will have. If they dont like it then they need to deal with it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• My "mother" was so upset with me when I got pregnant with my 2nd. She hounded me to only have one child and one child only. She didnt want a lot of grandkids, but I didnt let it bother ,e.
    LostSoul88

• Smile and do what's right for my family.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I ignored. I refuse to be baited into an argument based on someone else's opinion of what I *should* be doing.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Tell them they are more than welcome to control how many kids are in their house, and mine is none of their business.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• "I'm sorry, but is my vagina connected to your uterus?"

That is usually enough to stop them in their tracks.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Just say, mmm hmmm. And change the subject. Then do whatever the hell you want.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Just laugh to yourself and remember it is your body, your family, your choice.
    I have it both ways. Im expecting #2. Some say I shoukd have just stuck with one. Some.say after this I should have a tubal. Some say I should have at least 2 more. So I just laugh to myself, because the decision is mine and DHs, and its funny that anyone thinks they should have a say
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• with my family i think they are just focused on the fact that its cheaper to raise two instead of 4 like we want.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I have 5. After 2, some people thought I should be done. Forget them and do what is best for your family. You are the one raising them. I wouldn't discuss it with them.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2012