• In the Spotlight:

Premature and milestones....

My ds was born a month early. He is 8 months old now and still hasnt hit some mile stones that I know he should at 8 months. He does not crawl, or hold his bottle, or put food in his mouth or try to hold on to furniture and walk. He can sit on his own and can pick up small objects with his fingers but he does not put them to his mouth. He responds when you talk to him and is very engaging and loves to play and be cuddled. Could he be a bit behind due to being a month early? Some say not to worry they do things in their own time but I cant help but wonder. He is very interested in everything, babbles, reaches for everything he can get his hands on. I have been trying to teach him to wave good bye and clap, but nothing! He will mumble dada and mama only in babbling. What do you guys think? My husband says my expectations are too high.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 3 weeks early. He didnt start crawling until 8 1/2 months. And now he is walking around furniture and is a year old today. I wouldn't worry. All babies develop at their own time. Doctors don't even consider crawling a milestone anymore because so many babies skip it. I would give your child time.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Even though he is 8 months don't expect him to do things that an 8 month old would do, He is still really 7 months. My son was a month premature, and as I remember it took after he was a year old before he really started catching up - in weight and skills. Combined with his actually being only 7 months, and that all babies vary widely in their skills, chances are he is doing perfectly fine. Since you are concerned then ask your pediatrician next time.

Answer by Bmat at 2:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Whenever you look at milestone charts or weight/height charts, you are supposed to use his adjusted age. You say he is 8 months old and that he came 1 month early. So his adjusted age is 7 months. Remember, even though he was already born, he still had to put in that extra month of growth that full term babies do before they are born.

Here is a great milestone chart:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc
    If you look, you'll see that at 7 months, half of all kids are just starting to try to crawl. That means that half of them aren't yet. By 10 months, most babies are good crawlers.

And yes, I agree with your husband. Your expectations are too high. Read over the charts and get a good baby care book like "Caring for Your Baby and Young Child" by the AAP. Both will give you a good idea of what to expect.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My daughter is almost 9 mos old and full term. She doesnt crawl hold on to things to get up or hold her own bottle. Im sure everything is fine. Regaurdless of the prematurity all babys do things at there own pace. No two babys are alike. :)
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My baby was born early. She didn't crawl until nearly a year and she didn't walk until 18 months. It stressed me but the doctor assured me that she would get going eventually. He was right. She's running, talking and just perfect.
    Anonymous