1 of 2- Dealing with the Sister-in-law

My daughter and my nephew are a month apart, shes 19 months and hes 18 months. His mom and I usually get along pretty well but when it comes to the way we raise our kids, we butt heads. I dont spank and spanking is all she does. I dont call my kid names and tell her shes stupid, but my sister-in-law does. On their frequent visits, she will leave my nephew here and dissappear without saying anything or she will say she will be right back and leave him without asking if I mind watching him or anything else. On one occasion she said she was making a quick run to a friends house and would be right back only to be gone for 5 hours at the bar. I dont mind watching my nephew, I love spending time with him but I know Im being taken advantage of and I dont know how to approach the situation to fix it. Advice anyone?

rocksteady4

Asked by rocksteady4 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • Straight talk tell her what you just told us and ask her what she is going to do about this? let her know you know and she is not getting over on you!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• where is your brother during all of this? Sounds like your brother isnt being a good daddy either
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I think you either have to be honest the next time she brings the nephew over (poor kid) or you lie and say you can't babysit or don't feel well. It'll be easier in the long run to just tell her.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Sometimes when we know kids who are in a not so good situation, not bad enough to actually call CPS, but not too good. We have to think about what is best for the child. You will probably not be able to reason with her and get her to change her ways. If you confront her and she gets mad, she'll just not come around, but then you won't see the child. Which may sound like that would be better, BUT then where will the child be? Who will she leave him with? It's a very hard spot to be in, for me if it's family I'd rather have the child then worry about where they may be.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 5:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2012