Where do we go?

Okay ladies in Christianity what does it say about death? Like where do we go after we die? There is this guy here at work that says we either go to hell or heaven. I work with a guy who is a Muslim he says that we dont go to either one, because we will wait for judgement day when we are all awaken and then we will have to face God and we will then know where we go. I believe this too, but i go to a Christian church because i feel more comfortable and i understand the word better. My whole family is Catholic and i just didnt feel like i belonged there. So anyways is me believing that wrong of me? Or does it say this somewhere in the bible?

mylovelylife

Asked by mylovelylife at 3:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Within Christianity there are many different beliefs. Some believe you go straight to heaven or hell, or even purgatory (if Catholic). Some believe that our bodies lie in wait until a resurrection or sorts, and then we are judged and sent to heaven or hell. Some believe that earth will be made anew after the "final days" and all or some people will live on the new earth, or some people will go to heaven, some to hell, and some stay on the remade earth. Some of us (like myself) believe that there is no hell, only heaven. Some are even not sure if they believe there is any afterlife at all. It all depends on which strand of Christianity you most align with. You just have to decide which seems the most true to you, and not worry about what others would say about what you decide, because there really is a group of Christians for every belief.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• I am Catholic and we gobasically to a waiting room. That time is not specified. However we are also taught that we will all have to face our maker on judgement day.
    The "exceptions" to this rule would be the saints, although to my mind they would be there standing and facing their Maker as well.
    We are taught what is bound on earth (by the Church) is bound in heaven and and whatever is forgiven on earth is forgiven in heaven.

I think the rest in my case is open to interpretation until the Church makes an absolute declaration.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Okay thank you so much bandgeek521
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• The plain truth is, nobody has come back to tell us what happens after death. I'm a Christian, but the way I see it, we have only speculations about exactly what will happen when we die.

What I can say for sure is that as a teenager, I had what has come to be called a near death experience. I've been totally blind since birth, so I've never seen anything at all. But during the experience, I saw people clothed in robes of this sort of flowing, living, warm, blazing light, like sunshine with a turbo charge. The warmth was in the air, and pouring into me, and there was just a sense of peace and lightness I wish I could describe. I didn't want to return to my body, and to the unpleasant circumstances I was in at the time. I wa told somehow in my mind, without words, that I had to return, that I would rejoin the light later. Because of that incident, I don't fear death, even though I don't know for sure how it all works.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• The Abrahamic faiths aren't too wildly different. Basically, there is the same god, different prophets and different descriptions of what happens after death. I'm an Atheist, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but it kind of seems like whether you wait or you go straight to one or the other, you would probably want to live your life the "best chance of getting in" way, and nobody really knows until they die. Not a great answer I know, but since nobody can be certain, it is hard to really debate LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Thank you ladies:)
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2012