My computer needs help!!

My PC has been running slower and slower lately--taking longer to download, and freezing up on me, or crashing on me. Also, sometimes when I put it on "sleep" it actually shuts down on its own, or will turn itself back on randomly, or I can't get it back out of "sleep" mode so I have to manually shut it down and restart. Weird stuff like that. I run my security scans regularly and clear browsing history regularly. What is the best thing to do?? btw, it is 4 yrs old!

quietmomma

Asked by quietmomma at 3:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2012 in Technology

• Download SuperAntivirus Free Edition. It helps to clean up a lot of the spam/cookies, etc that build up on your computer and take up space. Make sure you've run you virus protection. You can also download a free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which helps clean up junk as well. Dump your cookies folders.....I think that's it for now. All of these can build up on your computer and slow things down.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Download AVG for free and it will clean up also try emptying the cache and cleaning out the trash. Defrag the hard drive as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• Defrag, delete cookies, clear cache, and go through all your programs and files, and delete any of them that you don't use/need anymore. If you have tons of pictures or document files that you need to keep but don't need to access regularly, shift them to thumb drives or CDs and delete them from the computer itself (do this before you defrag, so it cleans up all this, too) or upload it to an online storage site.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• OK, remember...I'm not too familiar with tech-terms!! What is the "cache"?? Thank you, though for your good answers!!
    quietmomma

Comment by quietmomma (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2012

• do you clear your history and downloading data too? they should be under the same heading as clearing your browser.
    i just had to do that too. you'd be surprised how much memory the history has stored in it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2012