How long can a turkey sit out after cooked?

I put a turkey on around 10:30pm, let it cook until just now and it's done. I know of people leaving it out until its time to eat which could be up to 5 hours. It will be 8 hours before we eat this turkey.

Should I let it cool and then refridgerate it then reheat it in the oven?
Or
Should I keep it in the oven and let it keep cooking covered with aluminum foil on the lowest setting (170) until like an hour before eating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2012 in Food & Drink

• You should time your turkey to be done no more then 2 hours before you eat it. Truthfully you should be taking it out of the oven when dinner is ready. Because you should only leave food out for no more then 2 hours.

You will have to put it in the frig and reheat it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2012

• Yikes! I would keep it on warm all day. If anyone gets sick blame the gluttony.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2012

• Refrigerate it. You will kill somebody or have a dead dry tasteless turkey. Please tell me you did not stuff the bird as well. If you did get the stuffing out of the and carve the meat off the bones and refrigerate it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2012

• Refrigerate after no more than 2 hours. Saw that on "Turkey Tips" on the need yesterday lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2012

• You should never leave any meat out longer than 2 hours
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2012