ear infection?

About 2 weeks ago I tok my almost 12 month old to the dr because he was real sick with a cold/flu, the ped said he also had an ear infection which was a surprise to me, I swab his ears after every bath, and he has showed no pain at all anytime. He was given Amoxicillin and took is as directed, he finished that about4-6 days ago. Yesterday he was grabbing his hear and aroud his ear, and screaming. My hubby and I suspect an ear infection, but he has been acting completely normal today. My MIL is trying to convince me not to waste my time walking into the dr or emergency room, that he is ok.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hopefully she is right however do what your instincts are telling you not hers. Bring the baby to the dr. if you want. Take care of you & your child not her.
    CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 2:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The only sign my dd has ever shown that she had an ear infection was a runny nose...some babies just don't show it. The first time she had one she actually had a double ear infection and we went just for her normal check up...she had been acting completely normal and had nothing going on other than a slightly runny nose. So now I pay attention to anything like that and take her in, so far I have not been wrong and I've caught it two more times without any of the "normal" signs that babies show when they have one. If I were you, I'd take him in just in case.
    Anonymous

• If you feel that he needs to go to the doctor then take him you know what is best for him.

myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would go back to the pedi. Amox doesnt always work. My ds has a had 2 ear infections and the first time he screamed in pain and the second time I had no idea. My dh had many ear infections as a baby and amox never did work for him. The ear infection may have not cleared up. if you dont want to go to the pedi you can always go to the CVS minute clinic to have your babys ears checked real quick if you live by a cvs.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Go back to the doctor. You'll feel better either way. My daughter is driving me crazy with the ear infections too. Twice now she has shown no signs and had an ear infection and twice I've taken her in for pulling on her ears and she didn't have an ear infection.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my son has had two in the first 4 months of life... amox didnt work for him. take the baby back to the doc.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009