Computer Help: HP Printer says is not connected to network. What is wrong?

I am currently at my mother in law's home. She has a Dell computer and an HP Photosmart Plus printer. She first informed me of her problem when I came over this Thanksgiving. She said she could not get her printer to work.

I am not computer saavy, just learning how to work stuff. I've been able to fix some things and I have tried all my avenues. First I ran a check with her AVG Free 2012 Antivirus. It scanned two possible infections but could only clean one.

The detection name was worm\Generic2.CNSS
The object name was
C:\Program files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\smart web printing\hpswp_clipbook.exe (5888)\C:\Program files (x86)\HP|Digital Imaging\smart web printing\hpswp_clipbook.exe\memory

The object type: file
SDK type: core
result: infected

Then I ran her Malwarebytes anti-malware. Nothing was found from that scan.

So I turned the printer on and tried the AVG Antivirus again. This time it didn't detect anything. Weird I thought. Especially when that scan said the computer was infected.
SO then I tried to look at the definitions of the generic worm.

AVG search didn't turn up anything. Finally I tried the virus definitions and that was horrible. There was a great huge long list of different kinds of same virus. Also the comments below it were numerous!

I decided to see if indeed the worm had something to do with the reason the printer could no longer detect the network.

According to my findings there were a few entries in search for the words
hpswp_clipbook.exe that said it was a worm. Since it is fairly new I don't know what I could do to fix this problem.

I was hoping a tech mom could be able to help me help her and get her computer back on track.

Thanks SO much for your help...and Happy Holidays!

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 8:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2012 in Technology

• This is very low-tech, but the first thing I do when my printer misbehaves is to turn it off and unplug it. Give it a few minutes, and plug it in again and restart it, if that doesn't work, I restart the computer, too. It may not help at all, but I hope you are able to figure it out.

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2012

• Try what bmat said, this is what I usually do when things don't go right..

But, the message that popped up for you usually means one of the plugs are not connected, or connected properly

MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 11:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2012

• So when you say it doesn't detect it, when you try to find it in the printer file is it there? Has it ever worked? If it has worked and uninstalled itself you can go on the HP website to search for a driver update that will prevent it from uninstalling itself. I had this problem with a wireless printer. Drove me nuts having to reinstall at the time.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2012

• I also use AVG. Same infection on my computer. I try to put it in virus vault. It says it is inaccessible. No problem with printer though. I tell it to take me to the file. It takes me to my documents. I scan my documents. It says no infections. I wonder if it is a problem with AVG?
    Angelina M.

Answer by Angelina M. at 12:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2012