Do you, as an American person, care?

NY Senator Chuck Shumer says you don't. He says:
"that so much focus is on those little, tiny, yes, porky, amendments. The American people really don't care."

Is he right - do you not care, or is he misinformed?
Short version on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfICUoWKBw
Long version you'll have to go through CSpan.org and ffwd through 3 hrs of video, but you'll find the exact same thing, unaltered.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he should leave DC more often. Perhaps speak to the people who elected him to represent them......

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I happen to care

Answer by gemgem at 2:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I care...a lot. I do not feel like I like in America these days.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I really love what some people consider to be "pork."
    Anonymous

• Also, if you disagree, you can let him know here.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Nope, I don't care. There's more important things to focus on
    Anonymous

• The spending bill has an approval rating of 35%. I not only think the people CARE but I think there are alot of Democratic Reps. out there that voted against what their constituents requested. How can there be a Democratic majority vote for a bill that does not have a majority approval? There are some people out there who don't care, just keep their man in office. Shumer at least knows that, but I think the bigger issue is, for those that bothered to respond to polls to get the fact of a 65% disapproval rating how angry are they now knowing their elected officials went against their wishes?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think he needs to get out a little more - away from Wash DC's insider cliques - if he believes that.

Or perhaps he doesn't believe it, but he knows the media will broadcast it. And the media do tend to believe what they see on TV (I kid you not!). So if he fools them into thinking nobody cares, then they'll drop the subject so as to avoid low ratings - and voila! no more opposition comments on the TV !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If the general public got to vote on this bill, it would not have come to pass, so yes the people do care. The elected officials clearly do not, nor do they care what their districts want either. That was a huge slap in the face and as far as Specter goes, someone needs to jackslap the crap out of him.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I left him a piece my mind....the little bit that was left anyway :)
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009