Could the Stimulus be Dangerous to your Health?

There are provisions reflective of the handiwork of Tom Daschle(and his book).
One new bureaucracy under the Stimulus, the National Coordinator of Health Information Technology, will monitor treatments to make sure your doctor is doing what the federal government deems appropriate and cost effective. The goal is to reduce costs and “guide” your doctor’s decisions (Stim bill pages 442, 446).
The stimulus bill also calls for a Federal Coordinating Council for Comparative Effectiveness Research (190-192). The goal, Daschle’s book explained, is to slow the development and use of new medications and technologies because they are driving up costs. He praises Europeans for being more willing to accept “hopeless diagnoses” and “forgo experimental treatments,” and he chastises Americans for expecting too much from the health-care system.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Daschle says health-care reform “will not be pain free.” Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them. That means the elderly will bear the brunt. Medicare now pays for treatments deemed safe and effective. The stimulus bill would change that and apply a cost- effectiveness standard set by the Federal Council (464). The Federal Council is modeled after a U.K. board discussed in Daschle’s book. This board approves or rejects treatments using a formula that divides the cost of the treatment by the number of years the patient is likely to benefit. Treatments for younger patients are more often approved than treatments for diseases that affect the elderly, such as osteoporosis.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• All page numbers coorelate with the Senate Approved Stimulus pages on this website
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.+1:
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Ohh and this article for more details

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aLzfDxfbwhzs

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• there's also this:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/02/job-loss-stimul.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• So what does this do for the 93% of employed Americans? Ohh, it screws us? Nice Obama wants me to bend over? Got it.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I'm sure all the people here who were laid off over the summer are ecstatic about that COBRA extension - especially since he really hammered it into them and they applauded so loudly for it. I really feel bad for them - you could see their eyes light up at the idea of getting cheaper COBRA. Shame most of them were out of jobs before August.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• population control.
    not treating the elderly and money for abortions. what's next, euthanasia?
    I remember having this conversation last week.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them.

I am not surprised at all. Socialism is about the greater good right. Well if you are a burden you should just die and not fight for your life. That is what I am getting from the Socialists I know and the Democrats/Socialists in office. Liberals are scary.
    Anonymous

• Well my Montana Senator in all of his wisdom circle jerked around that question on Fox news. He said it was only to update the record keeping...whatever.. sugar coating the crap doesn't make it easier to swallow...I guess he thinks we'll just forget next election. I didn't vote for him then nor will I ever.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• How about we start by stopping healthcare for prisoners and illegal immigrants instead of the greatest generation ever in the US. Our babyboomers who are now elderly. Tom Brokaw would be appalled.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009