Baby Formula Switch?

Okay so right now my almost 9 month old daughter is on Similac Sensitive for Fussiness and Gas, her doctor had told me he thinks that I should I switched her to Enfamil Gentlease. Am I not should which would be good to do. Keep her on Similac or switch to Enfamil. Any thoughts?

trinitysmama33

Asked by trinitysmama33 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you switching her? I heard that Enfamil tastes much worse. If you do switch chances are she won't drink as much as usual for a day or two. I switched my Daughter from Similac Advance to Similac Sensitive very early on & it took about two days for her to get used to it. If your baby is still gassy then have you tried Mylicon gas drops? Three drops in every bottle is what I did with both my children & it really helped with gas. Also make sure you burp well & often & keep the baby upright for at least a half an hour before you lay her down to sleep. I also only used the ready made liquid which is recommended by Pediatricians since you do not know what is in your local water.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Has she been on Similac this entire time? Why does he want to switch her now that she is 9 months? That makes no sense to me. If the formula is working then I wouldn't switch.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Don't mess with what's not broken. Unfortunately docs are not really good on infant nutrition. It's very possible he got a visit from an Enfamil rep recently.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Well he said that Enfamil would be better to help control her weight because she at her last visit she was 23 lb 4 oz (27 ins long). She was on both breast milk and formula for the fist 6 weeks, but I had to pump all the breast milk out because she would not have anything to do with the breast. I could only pump out 4 oz every 3-4 hrs and she wanted 4 oz every 2-3 hrs so I used both. After the 6 weeks it was getting too much to try to pump and keep up with her, school, the house, and my rest of my family. The first week or so of her life she was on Similac Advance but it made her sick, fussy, and really gassy so I switched her to Similac Sensitive before she was two weeks old. Soon after I put her on just formula, she was gaining 4-5 lbs every dr's visit. Her next visit isn't until next month, so I don't know if she has gained that much weight still or not. I know she is gaining weight just not sure how much.
    trinitysmama33

Comment by trinitysmama33 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Get on a scale with her & see how much the difference is between you & then holding her. As soon as she starts walking, the baby weight will come off. I'd keep her on Similac Sensitive until 12 months.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• How much formula is she getting per day? Daily need is 24-30 ounces. I don't think changing would be a good idea at all considering the history.

By the way, your pump output was OUTSTANDING. Anyone who told you differently was not telling you the straight scoop.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• She gets 4oz in the AM, 8 oz in the afternoon, 5 oz during dinner, and another 8 oz before bed...but sometimes she doesn't get all 8 before bed she'll drink bout 6-8 oz plus she gets spoon feed too
    trinitysmama33

Comment by trinitysmama33 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• So 25 ounces per day plus solids... My only concern is that the top two ingredients of this formula are corn syrup and sugar. http://abbottnutrition.com/products/similac-sensitive

But Gentlease really isn't any better in that respect: http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enf12/product.do?dm=enf&id=/Consumer_Home3/FeedingSolutions/EnfamilGentleaseLIPIL2&iwpst=B2C&ls=0&csred=1&r=3531256981

So if he's thinking a switch will slow her gain down, I don't think so.

I'd carry on as you have been. Or look into donor breastmilk if nothing else.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• babies are pretty inept about knowing when they are full not to mention most formulas have fairly similar make ups and a fairly standard calories per ounce... I would carry on as you are or get a second opinion/consider a new ped. You do not put an infant on a 'diet'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I personally dont think you should switch her either because in a few months youll be switching her again...to regular milk.
    Ms.MariaG

Answer by Ms.MariaG at 9:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2012