How do I get a soon to be three year old boy interested in Potty Training? any suggestions welcome! I am at my wits end!

My son will be three on the 19th, and it seems like I have tried everything. Books, dolls, rewards, training pants. The whole nine. When you ask him if he has pooped or if he is wet, he yells no and runs off! What am I doing wrong? What else can I do? Please help!

GamingMom

Asked by GamingMom at 3:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ok youre not the only one out there going through this!! jaja..... i was just about to post the same question!! my son is turning 3 next month and is still a diaper!!! so people please help us!!!!
    Anonymous

• He could watch daddy and then you could say, "Can you go potty like daddy? Like a big boy?" And if he does it, just make a huge deal out of it. Appeal to his pride! :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Have you showed him the Elmo potty song? My niece is wild about it... look it up on youtube, it is freaking hilarious.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• boys are hard let me tell ya i thought my son was going to go to preschool in diapers lol.
    i finally just threw away diapers bought big boy pants told him that only babies use diapers and that he was a big boy now. we put cheerios in the toilet bowl for him to aime at lol it worked he loved to aime for cheerios. Everytime he went potty he got a M&M and at the end of a week if he had no accidents he got to do something special.
    Dont use pullups exacpt for at night they are just like a diaper and they will go in them.
    Try the cheerio thing it might work boys think thats cool for some reason.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would have my son go to the restroom every 2 hours regardless if he had to go or not. When he went I would go crazy & cheer for him & do something that would make him laugh. We usually did high fives & thumbs up. It made him feel proud of himself & I let him know that! It really worked well for me.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 6:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• A few things that work for us: going without undies/pull ups during the day, putting the training potty in the room he plays in most, requiring him to at least sit on the potty before starting a fun activity/leaving the house/eating a snack or meal. He's testing your will power right now, don't force things but let him know he can't get away with this anymore. Food coloring in the water (add blue so his pee turns it green) or cheerios to aim at are also great ideas for getting him interested at least. Good luck!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 9:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• ok my son is 3 and is just now startin to want to go potty so i put underwear on him and he loves candy doesnt matter what kind but he got 2 pieces for every time he actually went and 1 for everytime he tried to potty and it took him a week of askin him every 15 to 20 min and havein him try so he makes himself pee so he can get 2 pieces of candy now number 2 is a differnt story
    lynn200724

Answer by lynn200724 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• What about girls? Mine is 3 yrs, 2 mo, and has no desire to use the potty...she'll even poop in underwear and not say anything!
    catgirlw2

Answer by catgirlw2 at 1:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• for boys ive found that putting cheerios in the toilet and make them "sink the cheerios" is very good..its fun and it helps with their aim..lol..also get rid of the pullups..take him to the store, let him buy some special deisgned undies with his fav character on it, and tell him that, for instance, spiderman does NOT WANNA GET WET!! and then use the reward system..with my daughter she got 1 smartie when she went pee 2 smarties for poops and 3 for both..worked like a charm!! plus i also made a chart for the bathroom wall and everytime she went by herself she got a sticker...potty training is more or less training the parents..training the parents to be consistent..on top of it every 20-30 minutes..."do you have to pee?" "ok well tell me if you do"...on and on and on and on alllll day...everyday...til they get the idea! happy peein!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009