Can a food allergy cause just a hacking cough, no other "symptoms"?

I'm starting to notice that my 7yo DD is coughing after having chocolate - especially in liquid form (chocolate milk, hot chocolate). Allergy maybe? Or could it be causing some heartburn that the heartburn would be making her cough? We've been having these off & on coughing issues and we know we need to see an allergist & pulmonologist for other issues but wondering if this may be part of the problem. Since it's Saturday and not an emergency, calling someone isn't an option.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 3:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Coughing is also a sign of Diabetes.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Chocolate causes excess phlegm, as does milk.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• My Best friend/next door neighbor when I grew up had a hacking cough for over a year. We were in elementary school so I'm not sure how old we were. Finally they took blood. This was in the early '70's so Dr.'s almost never ordered blood work especially for kids. Anyway, she tested positive for diabetes. Probably hereditary since her uncle had it very bad. The poor girl ended up on insulin shots her whole life. Just a heads up since you never know. Better safe than sorry. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• PartyGirl - she's not phlegmy. It's very dry.

ILove - is it a very persistant cough? DD's isn't - just here & there (Dr. thinks allergy induced asthma). But FIL is diabetic so that's kind of scaring me right now - even though she has no other diabetes symptoms.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Could be, but remember that any dairy product will cause excess mucus, which is probably which is causing her to cough. Chocolate contains dairy as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I'm aware. We've been avoiding dairy as much as possible, but again, the cough is dry, not mucusy. Even when she does have milk it doesn't bother her. It's just random times, I just remember 2 of them being after having choco milk once & hot chocolate once.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• If she had diabetes, she would cough a lot more often, not just with chocolate. She could have heartburn or GERD like you said, or it could in fact be asthma. A few symptoms of diabetes, type 1 is excessive thirst, excessive urination, extreme hunger, fatigue, weakness, blurred vision, vomiting, dehydration, and significant weight loss even with the consumption of large amounts of food. But like you OP, I would lean more towards the fact she may have a food allergy. And to chocolate to of all things! Oh that poor girl!!! LOL
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Asthma
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Even though the cough is dry , post nasel drip can cause a terrible cough. My son had a persistant cough which brought on asthma symptoms. The dr. gave him a nebulizer, inhaler, and steriods. She thought allergies(environmental, food, pet etc. could be the cause. The main thing when the cough is present is to make sure the lungs aren't struggling to work. The dr. can do oxygen saturation tests to make sure the lungs are working to supply oxygen to the blood. When the coughing is bad take her to the Dr. I Hope everthing goes well!
    aem8776

Answer by aem8776 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2012