Alternative name for 'mom'?

My 4 1/2 yo stepson and I are very close. His bio mom comes around maybe every 6-8 weeks. She.stood him up on Thanksgiving, but he doesnt know, we dont tell him when she claims she will come around. But thats beside the point. Im the only real mom hes ever known and he calls me Angie-bear, but has once again brought up calling me Mama. This would cause much drama and ultimately have a negative impact on his much-needed relationship with his absentee mother. When I was a kid I called my stepdad 'papa' because papa told me that callimg him dad would hurt my dafs feelings (papa was a wise man!) So what can I have my SS call me that is like mommy but won't upset his biomom?

AngelicaDem

Asked by AngelicaDem at 5:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2012 in General Parenting

• How about mama Angie?
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• My daughter (biological) has always called me Mim for some reason. I sort of like it
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• A good friend of mine has a 'mom/momma' (bio) and a Mami (stepmom)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Tkae it feom someone whos on both sides.. if shes goibg to be like that, then any name you come up with will upset her. If shes the "cause a problem" type, which it sounds like, she will twist it anyways. Personally, you need to thibk about him. He needs a mom, and hoping and wishing she will see the light isnt working, right? So you ARE his mama, and HE has asked multiple times to address you as such. I would let him call you what he is comfortable with. Mama Angie sounds great! But what ever HE wants. He is what matters.
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Sorry for the typos...in a rush and on my phone.
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Mama Angie
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Mama. Your stepson may deserve a relationship with his mother but it doesn't sound like she wants one. You can NOT force her to be a parent. It's also about what the CHILD wants, not his mother or you. If he wants to call you Mama, then let him. If his mother is going to be that concerned then she should step up and BE A PARENT. Not when it's convienent for her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I was Yenta to my steps.
    Don't be afraid to look into different languages
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Any girl can be a Mother....but it takes a real woman to be a mommy.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Let the child decide.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2012