My 16 yr old son

My 16 year old son has that locker room boy stank going on. He showers twice a day and uses Axe and deodarant. Yet he still stinks. How can I get rid of the stink? Also, is this a sign of a growth spurt? I know he is using the products because the bathroom smells like Axe and so does he but within hours he stinks. HELP!!!!

Asked by tyfry7496 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh you poor thing! I HATE Axe!!! How about some clinical strength deodorant & ditch the ASS spray! A couple of dabs of some nice cologne would be so much better. Hey there's a gift idea for ya! My middle son has quite the "essence of stanky man" going on, but I think he needs to shower more often. Could it be his feet? My son's feet could peel paint!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I have three boys, never heard of stink being a sign of a growth spurt, but I have heard that it's a hormonal thing, and their hormones are raging at that age. I'd say beyond the showering and deodorant, there's not much you can do. I'd try a few different deodorants in an effort to find one that works better with his body chemistry, and possibly talk to his pediatrician. He may have some suggestions.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• What kind of BO is it? Is he just now washing properly? Is it his breath, his feet? Sometimes shoes stink too and you can actually smell that. Talk to him about hygiene though. Also, I've always used Dial soap because it's antibacterial, you could try that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• Check his sneakers.... no joke. They are FOUL, and even Axe doesn't cover that stank.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• If it is his shoes, try some sneaker balls. They are deodorizers that you pop into the sneaks after they have been worn. Also try antibacterial shower gel and a real deodorant like Mitchum. Axe is too perfumy to do any good. What about shower to shower powder? Do they still make that? I think it had baking soda in it, smells super clean.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I know this is going to sound bad - but is he actually washing the right spots "that are stinky" or is he just standing in the shower?
    I ask this because a long while back I was doing laundry for my boys and - YES - they were showering, but NOT using wash rags and just standing in the shower - washing their hair but not the "stanky" parts - so I had to tell them AGAIN, the reason of wash rags. Since then, never a problem
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:19 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Axe may not be right for his chemestry. We all are different. That is why you should put on a bit of perfume and walk around for a little while and smell it again (and have someone else smell you) so you can see if it is a good match for you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Perhaps diet change would help, make sure he is eating lots of clean food. Processed food can really mess with our hormones. I have a 15 year old who reeks after football practice, but he smells delicious the rest of the time.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2012

• He is not showering with soap and water. If he was showering RIGHT he would not be stinking like that. He thinks using just deodorant and axe will cover up the stink. WRONG!!!!

Tell him if he doesn't start taking a real shower you will go in their and give him a shower.  Follow threw with the threat.

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2012

• If it is his shoes. Baking soda in them will help

Answer by louise2 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2012