does breathing paint go through in to your milk?

i am painting my little girls room and it's just me doing it so it is taking a while and i am in it at least and our at a time, well it seems like my 8 month old has started having a temp. all of a sudden when i started painting and i was wondering if anyone knew if the paint fumes could be going through my milk or if the fever is just from something else?

setliff

Asked by setliff at 3:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From what I googled, get a water based paint. "Toxic solvents have been found in breast milk." So this is all I could find. I think I'd check with the doctor just in case, but chances are it will be OK.

The toxic solvent quote is found at http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infpai/infprdanger.html. But another site said it's OK with water based paint and good ventilation. But these were other mom's saying so, not people in the medical field.

Answer by Bmat at 4:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Regardless of weather a mom (or any individual) breathing paint fums are not healthy. It is possible that some of the molecules may make it into your milk but no more than there is melamine (that nasty toxin that has need linked to death or severe kidney damage) in every can of powered formula!

When painting wear a mask, pump before painting so DD can eat if not comfortable nursing and give your body a couple hrs (or less) to filter your milk (your body does this regularly).
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't really think that it affects your milk, but even if it did, I don't think it would cause fever. IMO, it's a coincidence.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009