Newborn doesn't focus on people's faces

I know that they are supposed to have reduced vision of 8 inches or so but she's not focusing on faces or objects even close to her face. Her pupils respond to light but she only turns to sound and very bright light or colors. She has no response to facial expression or toys that aren't touching her at all and doesn't seem to realize that her bottle is near her face till you touch to her lips.

Normal? Our son was really responsive to faces and objects.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:28 AM on Nov. 25, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry about it just yet..give it a month or so, also talk to the pediatrician and see what they see and think
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Dude- this is so NOT a CM question.
    Call your Doc- this is serious!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• @feralxat It's 11 at night and we have an appointment on Monday anyway. Seemed ok to ask on here for general do your kids do this type thing.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I didn't mean like right now- lol
    I meant "I" wouldn't just rely on CM. (you know how some posters are)
    The bottle thing makes me nervous and it's not even my kid...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• How old of a newborn? Very newborn? I would say very normal. 2 months? Probably not as common. I'd just bring it up with the dr on Monday at your appointment. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• If you mean newborn as in 0-6 weeks old, it seems rather normal, focusing or reacting to things is not on high on the agenda so much for that age group, they respond more to movement.......however I am sure your Dr will let you know if its something you should be concerned about.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Newborns can not see very well. Like you said. So give the poor baby a break.
    Every baby/child is different. Stop comparing this baby/child to the older child.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• does she turn her head that way if you stroke her cheek?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:23 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• How old? The answer to that question makes all the difference in the world.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• @butterflyblue19 She turns but doesn't react in any other ways. No opening her mouth for the bottle or pacifier and startles when she touches things. I expected this a bit but everything surprises her all the time even her own pacifier.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2012