My 11 Week Old on an Airplane

My Aunt just died and I need to pretty much fly across the country to be with my family and attend her funeral. I need to take my 11 week old son on the airplane with me. I'll be renting a car when I get there so I'll have to bring his carrier and carseat base. I don't know what the heck to do with the carrier and carseat and how to get it there. Any tips for flying with a baby on an airplane?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 3:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Travel

• When we took our son at 3 months I wore the carrier to help me get on and off the plane. I took the car seat without the base, as we had a graco that worked just fine. I don't believe checking the car seat should count as a bag. I would check with the specific airline.
    You can also gate check a stroller if you want (no charge) and they give it back at the gate.
    You should be able to get early bording as you are travelling with a child under 5. This can helpful as you are not getting pushed around and you can make sure you have space for your carry on etc. Go to the TSA website and check out the latest rules for flying with infants. Print a copy and bring it with you, especially if you are bringing formula, or water to make the formula. A lot of the staff have no idea about the rules. Gas drops and tylenol...if baby gets bad gas or ear pain on the plane you will want them.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would feed him on the take off and landing it seems to help with the pressure changes on the ears.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I also put my daughter in a baby carrier on my front so I had hands free to eat and could go to the bathroom or you have no place to put them down unless you carry the car seat the whole time. You can check the baby seat, but it will count as one of your bags.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I forgot I had a front-carrier! I will have to get it out. Thanks for reminding me :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• some airlines will let you bring the car seat to the gate if they are not full and let you use it during the flight for no charge. It's worth asking about.
    Baby can't be in the carrier during take off and landing.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009