Anybody elses baby still waking for milk during the night?

My 23mth old wakes at 3am practically every night for a bottle of milk. I feed him good put him down w/a bottle and still.

roxxxy

Asked by roxxxy at 3:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 16 mths and she still gets up twice a night for milk . im tired. lol
    her dr said to let her have it. she said that since shes only in the 25th percentille for weight, she could probably use the extra milk.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Oh my God I totally understand you . My son is 13 months and wakes up twice every night . I tried to fed him just before he goes to sleep (formula and Cereal) , but still wakes up. So i am really waiting for him to sleep all night long :-)
    JAHA68

Answer by JAHA68 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You know it could just be out of habit. Have you tried switching up his bottles with juice and water? If he's eating plenty throughout the day then perhaps he doesn't really NEED it for sustinance. My daughter (when she's feeling well) wakes up around 4am every morning wanting a bottle. We've started giving her water and she's usually fine with it. A little love and her "snuggle buddy" and she's good to go back to sleep.
    downspiral00

Answer by downspiral00 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my son is 2 and he still wakes up a FEW times for milk at night. he was up anywhere from 2-4 times a night. i feel like we are still on a newborns schedule
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• if you give them something to wake up for than they will get up. it becomes a bad habit. Your doc should of told you not to give them milk at night, it is also bad for their teeth.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My DD (almost 21 months) still wakes 2-4 times a night to nurse. However, I know that is normal in full-term nursing. Most people (adults included don't sleep through the night), and those little bodies are burning a TON of calories in running amuck and growing so MANY toddles need to make up for in by consuming calories at night.

However, you want to be careful, because the reduced amount of saliva in the mouth while sleeping (saliva contains white blood cells among other things) bacteria can rapidly multiply. Having cow's milk, or any thing (except for water and breast milk which also contains white blood cells among MANY things) durring the night with out proper teeth cleaning; can result in tooth decay (in that age typically called bottle rot)
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• dd 23 months still wakes every night between 1-3 for a cup of milk.I give her 3 oz and she falls bk to sleep
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 4:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my 16 month old wakes up a majority of nights for milk. some nights i get lucky and he stays asleep.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 5:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my son does...I dont think its bad. Some adults wake up for a snack in the middle of the night.your baby may just be thirsty
    Anonymous

• Sarah did this ... your child most likely does need more milk, but you should try increasing the amount of food she is getting during the day.

I have a great book that has worked wonders on issues like this. It's called "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer", by Tracy Hogg. She has this book that takes you through the early months, and has another that targets toddlers. I refer to mine all the time.
    juliefears

Answer by juliefears at 7:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009