How to obtain a Roman Catholic divorce from an abuser husband?

AdrianaStoll

Asked by AdrianaStoll at 9:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• By what I have heard.(not 100% sure on this) I you want the church to agree on the divorce. You have to go through the church.They have to agree upon it.
    If you do not care what the church thinks. Just get a divorce.

Answer by louise2 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I=If

• Yeah this is something you should be discussing with your priest. Personally I don't give a flying fig about what the church deems appropriate, I would just file for a divorce. Your safety has to come first. I'm sure God would understand that. I'd rather be ex-communicated than beaten and bruised or worse.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Talk to your priest. There are things that you will have to go thru in order to get it done.
    They will tell you if it's truly a marriage that can not be restored. They believe that marriage is for keeps.
    They will also tell you from what I was told, you will not be able to marry again in that church.
    But truly it depends on the circumstances.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• The only way it would be deemed okay by the Catholic Church is if you get an annulment. Which is nearly impossible to do if you've had children in the marriage & especially if your DH doesn't agree. But, your safety & any child's safety is far more important IMHO. Just get an order of protection, hire a good attorney and do what's best for you & your child/children, not what's best for the church.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Abuse is one of the things that you can get an annulment for. But first get the civil divorce and restraining order. that will greatly help your cause with the Church the more documentation you have the better. Also keep in touch with those who know and in one way or another witnessed this abuse. Most of all talk to your priest. If he's one of those that will blame you or try to say you didn't try hard enough. yes there those that will do this. Find another Priest. In this case it can be done without your husbands consent.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:58 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• They will also tell you from what I was told, you will not be able to marry again in that church.

Wrong on so many levels. If you get the annulment then you can marry again. Who ever told you that was way off base.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• My ex was an abuser and HE was able to get the marriage annulled by the church. He then remarried. In the church. I left the Catholic church after that little experience
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2012

• You have to get a legal divorce thru the courts AND contact a priest for instructions on how to obtain an annulment. The Catholic church will grant one to anyone for the right price...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• See your priest. If you do not have one see if you can find a Franciscan priest to talk to.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2012