How do you deal with this?

My teen goes to the cupboard & freezer & eats sweet stuff without asking. I found an empty container I recently had icecream with cookie crumbles as a crust all eaten from the freezer. She left the container 'empty'. The worst thing is she stood there and lied to us about it! A flat out lie.  She even tried to blame it on my dh & I which we both knew wasn't true esp since she is the one who leave things EMPTY (I guess so she won't have to wash it?).All we have asked from her is for her to ask, which she does sometimes but not always. I'm so tired of finding empty containers put back in the cupboard too. Peanut butter jars, nutella, cereal. How do you deal with this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• booklover545 Is that why you DON'T BUY JUNK FOOD? Because your child has such SELF-CONTROL?? LOL Oh, & THAT'S NOT CONTROLLING???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• We have a healthy lifestyle. We eat only organic food. I am a vegan. I don't buy junk food because I don't want garbage and chemicals in my home. You have a very odd way of looking at things. You are attacking me because my family does not eat junk? It is a lifestyle not controlling there is always lots to eat but healthy takes priority. I am not sure why you are attempting to turn this into an attack on me. That is sad.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• booklover545 You say: "I am not sure why you are attempting to turn this into an attack on me. That is sad. Well perhaps my child does have better self-control but I buy food so it can be eaten. I do not buy any junk food. I worked in therapeutic care as an administrator and those kind of controlling behaviors around food usually lead to sneak eating and eating disorders.

I'm just saying you are saying that your kid has SUCH SELF-CONTROL.  How is that true when you don't have any junk food in your house.  How can he have self-control when he doesn't have a CHOICE to turn down junk food WHEN THERE ISN'T ANY???  Now, drop it!!!!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Because my daughter has learned from the time she was a child the difference between junk and healthy food. She eats junk food when ever she wants. She receives 20 dollars every Monday morning so if she wants junk food she most certainly can buy it herself. She is 16 and can drive.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• YOU are the one who said my daughter mut have better self control. I said well perhaps she does.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• we have a list in our kitchen, you empty it, you write in on the list. no, list and I don't buy anymore.
    we have a clean up around 9pm every evening, kids and i walk thought the house and pick up dirty socks, books and whatever else got tossed around that day. In your case this could include the pantry, i guess.
    I bought can soda and put kids initials on the tops, when your two were gone for that week - that's it.
    Hmmm, other than that stop buying the junk food, plan snacks for each day. Do you allow food outside the kitchen / dinning areas of your home?
    Can you lock the freezer? Hide the extra snacks in your closet? Keep them in the trunk of your car?
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• If I find wrappers etc. of a particular food item around due to teen apathy, or if a snack item gets consumed in a volume that seems unhealthy, that item gets "discontinued" in the house. It happened with granola bars and yogurt pops (we freeze them in the summer instead of popsicles) and discontinuing worked. She has granola bars back. We found a more healthy, satisfying brand and now she eats one a day and the wrapper goes in the trash.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2012