How do you handle 2 teen girls in one bedroom?

My daughter went to college this fall. My husband's 17 year old daughter moved in with us and is at the moment in my daughter's room. She has made it her own - with respect to my daughter. Now my daughter is very upset that things are moved around, her favorite pictures are down, other nick knacks are packed away etc. Want the 17 yr old to feel welcomed but how do I keep the peace with the other daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Give them each their own side to decorate as they wish. At that age I never spent much time besides sleeping in my room anyway. BTW, I shared a bedroom with my sister when we were teens. I had the top bunk & she smoked every night before bed. I slept in a cloud of smoke, gagged & dealt with it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Keeping peace went out the window when she wasn't told before she left that her stepsister would be taking down her things. At this point all you can do is tell her your sorry that you didn't talk to her and ask her if she will work with you to help make her stepsister feel welcome while also putting her things back in her room so she doesn't feel like she's been booted to make room for stepsister.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Your daughter needs to grow the hell up. When I went away to college, my mother complete renovated my room and began calling it the 'guest room' and I was allowed to sleep there when I was home for the summer and for visits. Your daughter if pretty much out of the house and needs to understand that life moves on without her being the center of the freaking universe.
    Anonymous

• That was a pretty shitty thing to do to take down all of her stuff without telling her. I very much doubt the issue is "her stuff". Most likely, the issue is that she feels hurt and replaced, maybe even betrayed. Deal with the real issue and the stuff wont be a problem.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 3:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Fix the room so they have their own side of the room. The DD that is in their full time can not move anything around on the part time DD's side.

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• But sense your DD is grown. I would tell her it is nother room anymore. You should have told her that when she left for college, really.

Answer by louise2 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• You should have told your daughter. Of course she is hurt.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Ikia. A trip to look at how to make small rooms and spaces personal and cozy., that store is a wiz.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• she feels like she is being replaced. is there a space in the house for her to display her things. I do agree, that you should have told her or asked her about just taking down all her stuff. her feeling are hurt but also should re-state that she is moved out and in college, she's an adult now. She'll need to act as such...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2012