Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Do i need some type of licence to sell homemade wooden crafts in Indiana

I make wood crafts in my garage an was wanting to sell them from my home, like a yard sale. by putting a sign in yard. Do i need a licence to do this. An what type of licence an do i need to charge sales tax. plus i dont sell very many

Answer Question

Asked by WHALER62 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • More than likely yes. Look up the laws in your state and see what is required.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 2:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

  • No, you do not need a license to do that in Indiana, but in your specific county you may need one to sell from your home - if you have a homeowners association, they may forbid it, as well, even if your county or city does not. Our business is web based, so that doesn't apply to us. We have a tax id as a formality to allow separate bank accts for business money and our own money, but as a home based business, you're no different than someone who sells Mary Kay or Tupperware.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

  • You may need a permit for the "yard sale". Check with your local town or city hall... someone there can tell you for sure.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

  • I am not sure about your state, but in my state you would need a license from the city to sell from your home and if you do above and beyond a certain amount of sales in a year, you would need a state business license as well.

    Answer by theMOMmission at 3:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

  • u need to check your local laws in your state, good luck momma, sounds like fun

    Answer by san78 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.