Do you answer questions you don't know the answer to as if you do?

I always wonder when I see someone answer something with a very obviously wrong answer, do they care that they're lying, or do they just assume they're right? It seems like a very trollish thing to do, and potentially dangerous if someone who knows the real answer doesn't come along eventually.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2012 in About CafeMom

• Well there isn't anything I don't know so YES, but I'm giving the correct answer. It's merely the opinion of the questioner that disagrees.

:P
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• It's merely the opinion of the questioner that disagrees.

Except that doesn't fly when it's not an opinion question - ala can I feed honey to a 6 month old or is it legal to do XYZ in such and such a state.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I don't think a wrong answer automatically means trolling. Sometimes its just a wrong answer. :/
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• This is cafemom NP remember. Facts don't matter. Only opinions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I Generally if I am unsure I will look it up really quick to double check myself. I am sure I have been wrong before... but I try not to be... if that makes any sense... I am running on 3 hours of sleep here. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I really want to know who this post is directed towards.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 2:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• FFA, I haven't been here in 4 days but my guess is the "Why Can't I poop" question
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• but I try not to be

I think for most people they add some kind of clarification - along the lines of "i'm pretty sure" or "I think it's". Which is why I wonder about the blatantly obviously wrong stated as a definite fact.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I try to unless I am being a total smartass.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• I typically stay away from questions that I don't know the answer, usually I'll bump the ones I can't answer. I wouldn't ever give anyone bad info on purpose; that is just mean.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2012